HP Pavilion Slimline s3120n: Help with upgrading graphics card.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uziiii

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2007
So I bought an HP Pavilion Slimline s3120n, and it's a great computer but the graphics card is terrible and I'd like to be able to play better games. The only problem is, is that the computer is so small and so is the motherboard, there is a PCI-E slot available, but I'm told I need a 'special' card to fit into it considering the size of the mother board (pictures below.) I'm having a hard time looking for a card that will fit in here, or if there is even such a thing and I don't know exactly what I'm looking for either. If someone could point me in the right direction I would be very appreciative. Thank you in advance!

(full specifications.)

HP Pavilion Slimline s3120n - Athlon 64 X2 4200+ 2.2 GHz Specs. Desktops Specifications.

(Pictures to the inside of the computer.)

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0015.jpg

IMG_0016.jpg

jedimasterben

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2007
According to the specs, you will need a low-profile graphics card with a power requirement of 25w or less, so you're pretty much looking at the same performance, or worse, than the included 6150LE.

that's the problem with a slimline tower.

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Got a friend who stupidly purchased one of these tiny computers. For a birthday present I gave him a real computer with a case big enough to fit a real graphics card in trade for his. I was thinking I'd be able to re-case the guts of the little HP but that custom MB is killing me. The Power Supply connector is smaller than a standard ATX connector. It looks like I'm going to need a MB or at least an adapter cable. Can't find an adapter however.

If anybody knows how to adapt this lil HP to a real PS please provide that info here or PM me...

TIA

tlmck

Distinguished
It would work if you could mount one externally somehow. You would not have room inside the case. You would then have to get the power cord back inside somehow.

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well by itself the linked PS would do nothing. You might want one if you can figure out how to shoehorn a good graphics card into your HP. Most current mid or high end graphics cards need more power than they can draw from the PCIx16 slot. They need extra power from somewhere. The normal way to supply this power would be to hook em up to a PCIe Power Supply via a 6 pin connector (see pic below). Most all power supplies have such a connector these days. If your PS has the power but lacks the 6 pin connection you can get an adapter like this one: http://www.directron.com/6pinpcie.html

If your PS does not have enough power to run a high end graphics card you can add a second PS like the one this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153037

So yes if you got a new graphics card and powered it with the linked PS your gaming would improve (perhaps a lot, depending on which graphics card you get).

Slap an 8800GT in that HP and you will be smiling for sure! Of course it doesn't fit so you would also need a new case as well ..... and the new case would be designed for a normal square PS not that long skinny thing the HP has. It is kinda more trouble than it is worth but I might do it anyways.

Note that you only need the second PS if you also get a new graphics card and a new case.

directron_1971_162086380

Uziiii

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2007
But what about the mother board? It's custom and would require a special card from which everyone is saying I'd need a lower grade card and would be pointless if it doesn't improve anything, so I wouldn't I need a new mother board? and in that case it would be pointless to do what you've suggested if I am just going to need a new case to fit the new mother board and a new power supply to power the new graphics card. right?

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
They are saying you need a smaller graphics card because of your small case not your MB.

They are saying you need a new MB because the HP MB uses that non-standard power supply and non-standard mother board power supply connection.

If you wanted to buy a new case including a new PS (with more power and including the 6 pin PCIe connector for a better video card) then you would also need a new MB because the HP MB will not work with a regular ATX PS.

If you got that supplemental PS instead, you would not need a new MB. In this case you would keep your old MB and your old PS. The MB would get power from the HP PS and the new video card would get extra power from the new supplemental PS.

All the options are a little confusing. Perhaps the easiest thing to do would be to leave the HP as is and sell it to a girl or someone who does not need upgraded video and get a new system with standard parts and a larger case with the room and power for a better video card.

I still have not decided what to do with my adopted slimline HP. It is a fine system and that PCIx16 slot is just begging for a good GPU. Maybe I'll give it to my mom or sister......

Or keep it and make a franken-puter......

runswindows95

Distinguished
Your only option is to sell it and buy a real computer. Those slimline HP's are great machines for office work and internet browsing that is all. They were and never will be made for gaming.

Uziiii

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2007
Yeah I know, but the way I got this computer was extremely cheap, so it was either I get this right away, or wait 6 months before I could afford a better computer. And I'm not about to just leave this alone and save up for a new computer, it'd be a lot cheaper to just get a new motherboard, new power supply, and a new graphics card and then just take out my processor and my ram from this computer.

tlmck

Distinguished
Not to further rain on your parade, but if you have a HP preinstalled copy of Windows, and plan on moving the hard drive over to the new system, it will not work. I cannot remember the exact error message, but you will get something like "incorrect hardware". If preinstalled, your HP has a "HP OEM" copy of Windows which cannot be transferred to another machine. Dell's work the same way.

If you have the retail disks, and installed it yourself, you will be fine. Otherwise, you can add a new copy of Windows to the shopping list.

My advise would be to save up and build a new mid range gaming rig for around $500-$600 or so. You can keep the HP as a backup web surfing machine should anything go wrong with the new one. For their designed purpose, the HPs are really neat little machines.

dwayne h

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2009
Sparkle GeForce 9600 GT Video Card - 512MB GDDR3, PCI Express 2.0, Dual Link DVI, HDCP Capable, HDMI, Low Profile

JoeSpam123

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
ATXPowerSupplies FSP270-60LE-SL

http://www.atxpowersupplies.com/270-watt-HP-slimline-power-supply-FSP270-60LE-SL.php

with a

Galaxy GeForce 9600 GT LP Low Power, Low Profile

worked in an hp slimline s3507c.

Had to almost completely take the machine apart to get the new power supply in place, but everything came together in the end.

Only negative is the graphics card fan nosie when playing games. Otherwise, it makes a very nice little package. System is still quite when web surfing, or doing "real work" on the system.

Power supply was $100, graphics card was $100.

y2jj

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2009
you can try a xfx geforce 9500 gt low profile video card. just ensure you remove the original bracket and use a low profile one otherwise it wont fit.works great and i didnt have to take my machine apart

tiffanywest

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
Hello guys, just wanted to make sure all you HP fans know about the new live auction website htrtps://wavee.com. It features this product at an incredible price of less than $1 and you can see that for yourself if you check out bit.ly/KtO0Y

paulshakes

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010
Hey

Sorry to dig up this thread, i'm interested to know if the card above worked without the need to purchase the power supply. I looked at the LP card and it seem specifically designed for Slimline machines without the need for an up PSU (doesn't even have the power connector)

I have an hp s3120n and was also wondering if the 9600 would work without changing the power supply.Any news from anyone on this?

computersmasher

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010

use this adapter

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-ATX2024MF-24-Pin-Power-Supply-Adapter/dp/B0002GRTZQ

Then This one

http://www.atxpowersupplies.com/20-pin-to-24-pin-hp-slimline-atx-converter.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.