Need help sizing watercooling

mountedpatrolman

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2008
I have been searching everywhere to try to piece together heat output for the individual components I plan to use, to figure out what size radiator I need. I plan on cooling a E8400 CPU, dual 8800 GTS's G92"s, and the NB, and possibly the hard drive but more than likely not. I am using the inwin F430 case so its a smaller case. I think I have figured out how to fit a swiftec MCR220-QP with the res. inside the case, but will that rad be able to dissipate the heat in one loop? or should I use two loops with the CPU and NB on a MCR120-qp? I want to try to keep everything inside the case or at least one radiator attached to the back. I will probably OC the graphics card more, with a medium OC on the CPU

TonyL222

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
This is from a post by one of the smartest guys in Water Cooling I know - Martin of "Martin's Liquid Labs:"

http://www.overclock.net/water-cooling/272300-question-bout-heatload-my-rads.html#post3132134

Sort of a rule of thumb might be around 180 watts per 120mm section of radiator using high speed fans and assuming a 10C delta.

But I wouldn't be happy with a 10C delta, so I'd cut that down in half. so about 100 watts per section.

CPU would be 1.5 sections, GPU 1.5 sections, NB .5 sections or 3.5 sections. You have 4, so you're good!..

You might be space limited with that case - though it is pretty ;) Two loops with a 360 for the gpus and a 220 for the cpu would be preferable. you could get by with a 220 for the gpus if you don't OC (or only mild OC - heck you're already running SLI). Nix the HD water cooling. If you do WC the NB, ad it to the cpu loop (though I'd nix that, too).

phreejak

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
I'd have to agree with TonyL222 on the NB. Unless you aggressively o'clock your CPU, GPUs and your memory, the NB heat issue could be handled by a decent HSF combo. Adding a NB waterblock to any loop is going to affect its flowrate.

TRENDING THREADS