Philips 30PF9946D incompatibility with Scientific Atlanta ..

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
May 1, 2005 2:28:06 PM

I just bought a Philips 30PF9946D LCD TV. It works great with DVDs,
but I get a poor picture (which is in black-and-white) with the HD
component input (VGA type). Since the HD component input is VGA, I
used the supplied component-to-VGA cable to hook up my cable box to the
TV. The picture quality is very poor, not even in color! Please help
before I decide to return it. Is there any adjustments I may need for
the TV or cable box? Thanks in advance.

Kumar
Anonymous
May 1, 2005 8:15:06 PM

Is it possible to hook it up directly via the component cables without the
VGA to Component conversion, or try another adaptor cable?<
"Kumar" <kgoundan@aol.com> wrote in message
>I just bought a Philips 30PF9946D LCD TV. It works great with DVDs,
> but I get a poor picture (which is in black-and-white) with the HD
> component input (VGA type). Since the HD component input is VGA, I
> used the supplied component-to-VGA cable to hook up my cable box to the
> TV. The picture quality is very poor, not even in color! Please help
> before I decide to return it. Is there any adjustments I may need for
> the TV or cable box? Thanks in advance.
>
> Kumar

Anonymous
May 2, 2005 12:22:28 AM

On 1 May 2005 10:28:06 -0700, Kumar <kgoundan@aol.com> wrote:
> I just bought a Philips 30PF9946D LCD TV. It works great with DVDs,
> but I get a poor picture (which is in black-and-white) with the HD
> component input (VGA type). Since the HD component input is VGA, I
> used the supplied component-to-VGA cable to hook up my cable box to the
> TV. The picture quality is very poor, not even in color! Please help
> before I decide to return it. Is there any adjustments I may need for
> the TV or cable box? Thanks in advance.

Not sure what the component to VGA cable you have is for, but typically
YPbPr component for HDTV is NOT VGA (RGB). You may need some sort of
converter box instead of just a cable. That could be why color and
picture are poor. With my OTA HDTV STB to LCD, VGA looks just as good as
DVI (component is not quite as sharp due to overscan).

Do a Google search for "convert component to vga".
May 2, 2005 8:24:58 AM

On 1 May 2005 10:28:06 -0700, "Kumar" <kgoundan@aol.com> wrote:

>I just bought a Philips 30PF9946D LCD TV. It works great with DVDs,
>but I get a poor picture (which is in black-and-white) with the HD
>component input (VGA type). Since the HD component input is VGA, I
>used the supplied component-to-VGA cable to hook up my cable box to the
>TV. The picture quality is very poor, not even in color! Please help
>before I decide to return it. Is there any adjustments I may need for
>the TV or cable box? Thanks in advance.

The VGA input is labeled: VGA Y/Pb/Pr (2Fh)

The last sentence mentions possible different output standards
which might explain your problem.

Here's the connection info from the owner's manual PDF:

"Devices with Progressive scan output (e.g. a digital Set Top box,
a video game console or Progressive scan DVD player (480p, 576p,
720p or 1080i)

Connect the device with 2Fh YPbPr output to the VGA connector
(with the supplied adapter cable VGA to cinch) and to the L and R
AUDIO jacks 2 of AV3. See also the manual of your High Definition
device.

Note: This television is designed to accept high definition signal
standards 480p, 576p, 720p and 1080i as specified by the
Electronic Industries Association standard EIA770.3.
Digital devices from different manufacturers have the possibility of
differing output standards which may cause difficulties for the
television to properly display."

I would fiddle with the settings in the SA8000HD first and see if
that works. Otherwise try connecting to the TV's Component
inputs and see how that works.

Randy
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 10:58:33 AM

"Randy W" <RandyLWaltersremovenospammage@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> On 1 May 2005 10:28:06 -0700, "Kumar" <kgoundan@aol.com> wrote:
>
> >I just bought a Philips 30PF9946D LCD TV. It works great with DVDs,
> >but I get a poor picture (which is in black-and-white) with the HD
> >component input (VGA type). Since the HD component input is VGA, I
> >used the supplied component-to-VGA cable to hook up my cable box to the
> >TV. The picture quality is very poor, not even in color! Please help
> >before I decide to return it. Is there any adjustments I may need for
> >the TV or cable box? Thanks in advance.
>
> The VGA input is labeled: VGA Y/Pb/Pr (2Fh)
>
> The last sentence mentions possible different output standards
> which might explain your problem.
>
> Here's the connection info from the owner's manual PDF:
>
> "Devices with Progressive scan output (e.g. a digital Set Top box,
> a video game console or Progressive scan DVD player (480p, 576p,
> 720p or 1080i)
>
> Connect the device with 2Fh YPbPr output to the VGA connector
> (with the supplied adapter cable VGA to cinch) and to the L and R
> AUDIO jacks 2 of AV3. See also the manual of your High Definition
> device.
>
> Note: This television is designed to accept high definition signal
> standards 480p, 576p, 720p and 1080i as specified by the
> Electronic Industries Association standard EIA770.3.
> Digital devices from different manufacturers have the possibility of
> differing output standards which may cause difficulties for the
> television to properly display."
>
> I would fiddle with the settings in the SA8000HD first and see if
> that works. Otherwise try connecting to the TV's Component
> inputs and see how that works.
>
> Randy

The "VGA" input is likely limited to 480p. The giveaway is 2Fh, which
typically means twice the horizontal frequency for standard NTSC. This is
not uncommon with HDTV that have an input labeled VGA. Remember the
resolution for VGA is 640x480. They did not label it SVGA or XVGA for a
reason. Also, the (x)VGA output of a computer is usually RGBHV, not
Y/Pb/Pr, and would need to be converted. Some STBs have had this type of
output, IIRC, but not much else. You can get a converter for as little as
$100 but I am not sure why you would want to be limited to 480p.

Leonard
!