Sign in with
Your question

Is this overclocked 8800GTX safe for air cooling?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 11, 2007 12:55:03 AM

****UPDATED THREAD****Not here down there.
November 11, 2007 1:00:05 AM

Click Test, click Apply, then click OK... Or you could use Atitool which is more user-friendly in my opinion, because Rivatuner interface is not very good in my opinion, however it is the only way you can reach your maximum overclock such as with Atitool I can only get 650/1512/950, on the other hand on Rivatuner I can get 650/1620/950, the reason behind this is because rivatuner also can have an independent shader overclock slider, on the other hand in Atitool you have the Shader clocks linked to the GPU clocks.

If you're using XP, here's how to enable independent shader OC slider:

http://www.guru3d.com/newsitem.php?id=5958
November 11, 2007 1:15:30 AM

get nvidia's nTune, It'll let you change the clocks however you want them, and offers a stability test as well. It also lets you choose to let the system tune itself.
Related resources
November 11, 2007 1:43:25 AM

I'm using River Tuner and I'll admit I was a bit apprehensive to installing it. It has way more features that I'll use or understand, but for simply bumping up the clock speeds it seems to work great for me. The main thing for me is 64bit support.

Just like emp stated. Move the sliders up and click apply.

The first time I used it and the last time I changed my setting I did something to detect the cards stock speeds, but for the life of me I can't find that setting. It may have simply popped up the first time I moved the sliders. IIRC there was also a re-start in there somewhere. I've restarted this new system so many times in the past few days I'm getting vertigo looking at the screen. :D 

Also, the shader clock is only supported for Vista. If you are using XP you should only have two sliders.
If you have Vista There is a check mark to link the GPU and shader clock. When you bump up the GPU clock the shader clock slider will move up at the same interval. If I run into artifacts I'll unlink the shader clock and move it down a notch.

November 11, 2007 4:34:04 AM

Riva Tuner all the way!
Listen to EMP.
Also see if there is an issue with your nvidia drivers.
Try an older one, and the newest one, and see the diff.

Ciao!
November 11, 2007 7:57:59 AM

Check out this guide. It also includes an explanation on how you can flash the video card's BIOS once you have found the settings you want to keep.
November 11, 2007 2:38:03 PM

Quote:
I am not about to give up using Riva Tuner just because I'm having trouble, but thanks anyway.

:D  Sorry, wasn't suggesting it was you, but probably something incompatible with your system.

Quote:

****UPDATE****

I was able to OC the GPU durring 3Dmark06 the GPU went from 576 to 594MHz, but after 3Dmark was done the GPU clock went back to 576. I did notice that when updating my Nvidia drivers I lost all my Riva setting including fan speed setting at 100% which I had to set up again. Is there any way I could keep my setting after a driver update?

I've noticed something similar like this too.
After I restarted my computer the overclock speeds I had went back to stock. I noticed there is a way to save profiles, maybe that has to be done in order for it to remember your settings.

I also noticed it can overclock thorough the drives or from the BIOS like aoe suggested. I'm a little apprehensive on changing it the BIOS too. It's a new card that I plan on trading up with eVGA later on.

If I have a chance today I'm going to spend a little time trying to figure it all out. Hopefully they have a good help section at their website. A lot of the stuff on this utility is over my head.
November 11, 2007 4:09:12 PM

rivatuner is great, you can use it to dynamically overclock your card so its lower in 2dmode and higher in 3dmode, change the fan speed to adjust according to temps, all that, it rocks.

MUCH better than ntune.

You have to save profiles.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/article/449/

There, the best guide there is, enjoy.

Flashing a cards BIOS is alright to do should be 100% safe as long as you save a backup of the BIOS, but the only point really is so you don't use an APP like rivatuner, it also means though that you lose lots of options like fan speed changing etc...

Or for SLI, Ill be using rivatuner until I go SLI then ill probably BIOS flash the cards to a custom overclock and use rivatuners fan control for them aswell.
November 12, 2007 12:53:44 AM

Awesome! Thanks Hatman.

Got my profiles all saved.

One thing I noticed though.
After creating a fan profile the fan speed which was set at 100% did not go down while under 50c.

November 12, 2007 2:27:06 AM

Well after most of today I have been able to get great overclocks from my 8800 GTX. I did find my graphics card limit @ 663MHz my PC froze in the beginning of 3DMark06, so I backed off a little to 650MHz. Before you give your anser to my next question my GPU never exceeded 68C on the GPU core durring all testing and my graphics card never experienced any type of artifacting whatsoever. Do you guys think this is safe enough overclock? Look below at the data if you wish. Thanks for any suggestions!

By systemlord at 2007-11-11

By systemlord at 2007-11-11
November 12, 2007 3:01:59 AM

Looks good to me.

I would think you could push the memory a little more though.

I usually do them separately after getting a decent, yet safe overclock.
I'll push the GPU until it freezes and back it off.
Then the memory.

I'm not positive on this, but I think you will see artifacts when the memory starts producing errors. The GPU will just freeze when pushed beyond it's limits. I could be wrong, it's been a while since I got a new system and overclocked it.
November 12, 2007 3:26:40 AM

Flingpoo said:
Looks good to me.

I would think you could push the memory a little more though.

I usually do them separately after getting a decent, yet safe overclock.
I'll push the GPU until it freezes and back it off.
Then the memory.

I'm not positive on this, but I think you will see artifacts when the memory starts producing errors. The GPU will just freeze when pushed beyond it's limits. I could be wrong, it's been a while since I got a new system and overclocked it.

I haven't yet begun to push the memory yet, just wanted to get the core & shader set where I wanted them. What are Nvidia's recommended operating temps for their 8800GTX's? Intel list these important info but as far as I know Nvidia does not. Do you know of a way to unlink GPU from Shader cores in ATITool? Also can I program ATITool to run my fan at 100%? Thanks for...
November 12, 2007 11:45:35 PM

systemlord said:
I haven't yet begun to push the memory yet, just wanted to get the core & shader set where I wanted them. What are Nvidia's recommended operating temps for their 8800GTX's? Intel list these important info but as far as I know Nvidia does not. Do you know of a way to unlink GPU from Shader cores in ATITool? Also can I program ATITool to run my fan at 100%? Thanks for...

Memory. oh, okay. I don't know the stock speeds for your card. Just though it's looked low on the scale.

Sorry, can't help you with the temps. It would be good to know though. My 8800GT SC at SSC speeds seem to be running at 50C. I can't wait for some new fan/heatsinks to come out for these. I know I can squeeze a bit more out of it.

ATITool? No more RiverTuner?

For RiverTuner you should be able to unlink the Core and Shader clock simply by unclicking the check box. The link that Hatman posted worked great for me. My overclock speeds are saved and so is a fan speed profile. Haven't put the fan speed to the test yet though. I just picked upt Call of Duty 4, so I'll let you know if it works. To run the fan at 100% in RiverTuner, under the main tab. Go to driver settings menu, click on customize, system setting and then click on the fan tab. Change it from auto control to direct control and the sliders for he fans will unlock. Adjust the fan speed then click apply.
November 13, 2007 1:08:43 AM

systemlord said:
I don't know how to unlink shader speed from the GPU speed in ATITool, but with RivaTuner it is pretty easy. Also having the GPU fan startup at 100% is quite simple as well.
http://www.guru3d.com/newsitem.php?id=5958
I run my 8800GTX at 635MHz core 1550MHz shaders and 1950MHz memory.(Memory use to clock higher but I have an 8600GT sandwiched right under my 8800GTX)
November 13, 2007 2:39:19 AM

Flingpoo said:
Memory. oh, okay. I don't know the stock speeds for your card. Just though it's looked low on the scale.

Sorry, can't help you with the temps. It would be good to know though. My 8800GT SC at SSC speeds seem to be running at 50C. I can't wait for some new fan/heatsinks to come out for these. I know I can squeeze a bit more out of it.

ATITool? No more RiverTuner?

For RiverTuner you should be able to unlink the Core and Shader clock simply by unclicking the check box. The link that Hatman posted worked great for me. My overclock speeds are saved and so is a fan speed profile. Haven't put the fan speed to the test yet though. I just picked upt Call of Duty 4, so I'll let you know if it works. To run the fan at 100% in RiverTuner, under the main tab. Go to driver settings menu, click on customize, system setting and then click on the fan tab. Change it from auto control to direct control and the sliders for he fans will unlock. Adjust the fan speed then click apply.

You have completely miss one of my posts that clearly shows GPU temp default clocks and overclock clocks. I'm using ATITool because Riva Tuner was showing 648 GPU core when in fact it was 650MHz, so I said buy to Riva and hello to ATITool.
November 13, 2007 2:53:14 AM

ummm, okay.
!