To X-Fi or not to X-FI...that is the Question...

bigdadnau

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2007
I am building a mid-range gaming system based on an MSI P35 Platinum MB. That board has an on-board hi-def audio capability based on Realtek ALC888 (7.1 channel surround sound up to 32-bit/192KHz). I have a Creative SB X-Fi platimun sound board from my old system. Is there any benifit to using the Creative board over the built in Realtek audio save for the X-Fi capability, or do I eBay the X-Fi and save the PCI slot?

Kabobi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2007
ehhh..........the P35 Platinum comes with a great on board sound. (the best in my experience) but my XtremeMusic smokes it completely.

the only problem with X-FI was the driver and as of Nov. 2 that problem has been fixed. (this for people with Vista and especially for those w/ 4gb ram).

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001

If you are planning to run Vista I would say no.

Word, Playa.

Annisman

Distinguished
May 5, 2007
X-FI all the way, I love my X-FI soundcard ( fatality Pro )
I would choose my sound card over another 8800GTX in SLI in the PCIE slot, because any onboard right now ( I don't care if it says High Def, or 7.1) SUCKS. And I also beleive the sound card takes stress off the CPU.

sailer

Splendid

This involves a couple things people often miss. First, they somehow think that a mobo's on-board sound comes free. It doesn't. It has to get its resources from somewhere, and the more High Def or 7.1 sound it emphasizes, the more demands it makes on the cpu. That demand stresses the cpu and slows down games 3-5 FPS. So you take your choice, put the proccessing power on the separate card or put it on the cpu, but the proccessing power will come from somewhere.

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001

Vista 32bit or 64bit are a joke with Creative right now you wont get EAX effects without secondary software the Alchemy deal which adds overhead since the effects are run by the CPU and not the hardware on the card. Secondly their driver 04 which im also running has the same binary date tag as the 03 that they pulled off their site not more that 45 days ago, so like myself you will be crossing your fingers if their drivers work, I personally would go back to my Audigy if I had PCI slots on this motherboard, I never had crackleing hissing, microphone issues, random crashes, undetectable hardware features, or general crappy support with that card.

But take the purchase with with caution, you could very well find yourself more frustrated than enjoying the machine.

Word, Playa.

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007

Bloody realtek chicks not putting out... gawd

Xfi is definetly better, whack it in, if it doesnt work to your satisfaction with Vista then take it back out again and use the onboard till creative fixes the drivers.

d_fusion

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
X-fi definitely improve your audio I believe you will need that for gaming and video. I just saw a pci express version of the x-fi. Is it available now? Any idea?

sailer

Splendid
Yes, there is a PCI-e version of the X-Fi available from Newegg. Its a lower end model, so doesn't have all the features of the Platinum models. I hope that either Creative or Auzentech developes a top end card for PCI-e, but we just have to wait and see about that.

bigdadnau

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2007
PCI Express...it's not just for Graphics Cards any more :pt1cable:

Love the idea of using the PCIe 1x slot on the board for more than just decoration. Since I am not using many of the platinums features, the dumbed down X-FI might jsut work for me...

Thanks for all the opinions and advice...you all rock!

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007

PCI-e hasnt always been for video anyways... there has been RAID cards, network cards available from word go just about. And dont forget that notebooks have been using the PCI-e interface for alot of stuff as well... ExpressCard (54 and 34 specs) that have all sorts of cards also... so it hasnt been GPU only at all

Oh SoS

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2007
was totally underwhelmed by my experience with an X-Fi Fatal1ty Platinum.
Actually reduced my FPS in Guild Wars VS my onboard AC 97 audio.