Sign in with
Your question

Building Rigs for other People

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
October 31, 2007 10:39:13 AM

This might not go here, but I didnt know where else to put it.

I am going to be building a rig for someone. This person lives about 21 hours on the other side of the US from me. What would be the best way to get the PC to the person?

More about : building rigs people

October 31, 2007 11:11:22 AM

Fed-Ex. Pack it very, very well.
October 31, 2007 11:16:35 AM

The best way? Charge for gas and mileage. :sol: 
Other than that, hit FedEx or UPS for shipping supplies and ship normally (with insurance).

-Wolf sends
Related resources
October 31, 2007 12:04:02 PM

nickc07 said:
This might not go here, but I didnt know where else to put it.

I am going to be building a rig for someone. This person lives about 21 hours on the other side of the US from me. What would be the best way to get the PC to the person?

Building for other than yourself is a slippery slope. Lots of pitfalls.

Make sure you nail down all the specs and expectations of the user or you'll spend of a lifetime of free tech support trying to sort things out.
October 31, 2007 12:06:45 PM

Make sure you secure every cable with multiple zip-ties, etc. Avoid excessively heavy cpu hsf. Stock fans are the best for this. Use 4-8 screws for each drives if possible. Lastly, ask someone at the other end to double-check the contents before powering up. Especially someone with diy pc knowledge.
October 31, 2007 12:57:01 PM

You might also go one step further by removing heavy cards such as GPUs and soundcards and shipping them in the original boxes as well. Take some pics of 'where stuff goes' and provide the information on how to seat the cards when the box arrives. This will do 2 things, 1) these components will survive the trip much better in their nested boxes of cozyness, and 2), it might just spark enough interest for them to want to build their own next time.

Ditto on the using OEM HSF for CPUs and such, if they are having you build/ship across the country, I doubt they are going to overclock themselves when they get it. Avoid those huge tower coolers, they might just come unsnapped or loose and it would just be a hassle and headache to walk them back through re-attaching the sucker.
October 31, 2007 9:27:52 PM

I would say pack the video card separately
October 31, 2007 9:43:38 PM

That's pretty much it in a nut shell theres really not much to add except, be prepared for tech support hell. I hate Dell,HP etc. but there is a time for everything.
!