upgrading gfx card on dell dimension 4550

jonsteadinho

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2007
Hi all. I currently have a dell dimension 4550 which I have upgraded several times (ram, hdd etc.). however, my geforce 4 mx 420 graphics card can no longer support even basic games like fifa08, hospital tycoon etc. i'm thinking of an AGP x1650XT, but my proprietary psu is only 250W -- not enough to support the card. as for upgrading the psu, there have been accounts of people frying their cpu when they upgraded it.

any suggestions on a decent gfx card that can run on my dell rig? thanks

Sparky38

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2007
I currently have a 7600 GT in my 4550. Is nice and relatively inexpensive. I also put in a 3.06Ghz HT P4. I haven't upgraded PSU.

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
I have not ever read a post or anything about frying a CPU with a upgraded psu, not saying its not possible, but I'm certain it not because of a better psu. The processor will only use the amount of power it uses unless there is a bad transformer/voltage regulator. Its OK to get a better psu. Not having enough power is harmful for system components.

You're in luck, the stock psu is capable of powering some halfway decent cards,the 7600 GT (AGP) comes to mind, it outperforms the x1650Xt and uses less power.
And if you want, the 4550 uses a standard 20 pin ATX psu, you would have to break out some tin snips and cut the back panel to allow for a switch or find a switchless unit.

Man I'm slow, walk away to get a cup of coffee and everyone shows up.

While i cant argue that the 7600 uses less power than a X1650xt, It sure as hell dosent out perform it accross the board in truth the cards are so similar depending on the Game used to benchmark it that if i was going to choose between the two i would check some benchmarks to see if my games portfolio leant one way or another.
I was checking the power supply on Google this morning and came across a post concerning the 1600xt which apparently isnt compatable with your system so it may be worth calling Dell and asking them.
In any case Sparky38 is running a 7600GT and has upgraded the CPU as well so i would do that if it was me.
Mactronix

mactronix,
I used the VGA charts to make the determination that the 7600 was the better performer, most of the benchmarks there show it being more powerful. But you are correct, checking your game portfolio may be a better way to determine which card would be of most value to the OP.
On the other hand there were alot of compatibility issues with Radeon cards in general on older Dell systems, so to avoid a headache the Geforce would be the better way to go.

While we are in agreement as to the best way for the op to go i would just like to say that the VGA charts are not exactly accurate, for getting a rough idea they are fine but they should by no means be concidered to be the final word.
Mactronix :)