Distinguished
Nov 23, 2007
Alrighty, system setup:
Abit NF7-S V2.0
Athlon XP-M 2800+
1.25 gigs ram [1 generic (works on a dif mobo)] [.25 gig (kingston)]
Geforce FX5600 Ultra
420 Raidmax PSU

I've been trying to get the beast running. I just bought the motherboard. Now, I know the southbridge is supposed to get hot, but it gets rediculously hot for me and I don't know why. It originally would just run and the mobo would give me long beeps non-stop. I tried everything, ram, psu, gfx card, processor, and nothing would stop it. So i tried used a different battery, thats when the southbridge started getting really hot and the computer doesn't even beep now, it just runs, gets hot, shuts off. the weird part is that it starts back up on it's own again. now the things that would seem the most obvious problem right off the bat would be the psu. I am going to go get a more expensive one and try that out, if the southbridge isn't fried already.

If that's the case though, do you think I'd be able to send it to Abit and have it fixed or replaced? I bought it from a private party, but the board is still in the last year of warranty. I don't see why not.. I e-mailed them, I guess I'll find that out.

Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Nathan

Zaemz

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2007
BTW - The battery was the same voltage and type, that couldn't be it. The grounding wasn't bad either, I removed the mobo and set it on a non-static surface in the open and tested it again. still nothing

juglenaut

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
A NF7 that still has warranty?? hmmm

Anyway my experience with the Nf7 series has up until recent been smooth, have you tried to clear bios? have you tried to rapidly press and release shift as you press the p-button? what bios version are you flashed to? 16-27??

The S 2.0 SB will get hot typically only if you over clock or if the i/o voltages are to high. Access bios and quickly read off pc health data, select optimal settings. How long can you stay in bios before thermal fail condition.

Does the computer boot into windows? Have you tried a heatsink with adhesive thermal tape?