E8400 Thermal(s) inquiry

Serj

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2007
Hi all; before I get into the meat of my question; I'll detail things out.

I just built a brand new system.

The specs are as follows:
Ga-x38-DQ6,
E8400 Wolfdale,
Muskin Extreme DDR2-1066(2x1GB),
Visiontek HD 3870 X2,
SB X-Fi Platinum,
WD 500GB RE2,
Seasonic 700w PSU,
Coolermaster ATC-200 case (circa 2001)
Intel retail D-series HSF (copper Core; taller fin array)

I want to perform a mild OC to this system. I have already gotten it to 3.6, and I really only plan to maybe get to 4 at the absolute most. Basically, I want to keep it a few steps back from the edge, and have a nice, fast system for the next couple of years. Prime95 runs stably at 3.6, however, the 2 programs i have report temperatures that are up to 15C different! Core Temp reports alot hotter, and even at stock speeds, is approaching 60C while running prime95. On the other hand, Easy Tune 5(provided by gigabyte) is reporting BARELY 46C with over an hour of torture testing. These readings are all at stock speed. Being that this is a wolfdale, I am inclined to believe ET5 is more accurately reporting temps, but advice + paranoia on the reporting from CT, has lead me to leave it @ stock for the time being. I am looking for a few things really. I understand i will get crap for the HSF, but i've peeled off the thermal pad and have applied some nice silver thermal gease, and due to the "crazy cool" sink attached to the back of the mobo, limits my aftermarket options. I know the standard advice is to remove it, but based on touch, the wolfdale is running a hell of a lot cooler than the NB currently, so I'd rather keep the additional NB sink. SO;

1) advice? should i really hack up that NB sink?
2) which thermal temp readout should i trust? is there an alternative program that works better?
3) Wolfdale thermals. Will the CPU croak if i just crank it to 3.6-3.8 and ignore the temp indicators as long as the Vcore stays reasonable and Prime95 doesnt error?
4) should I ignore Northbridge thermals (touch test) and just bolt up the CoolerMaster Hyper 212 i Originally bought for this system? (i can't close the case properly if i use this HSF)
5)specs. what is this chip's throttling temp? the Vmax?

anything else?