How do I overclock my hard drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmansj

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2005
My laptop is sluggish, and I was wondering if one could improve the system performance by overclocking the hard drive. How high (RPM) have you guys been able to get a regular 5400RPM drive without data loss? Would a 5400 have more headroom than a 7200? Also, do they have hard drives with unlocked multipliers?

I'm kind of new to this, so any help would be appreciated.

Kman

Uhhhhhhh huh have you looked into wiping your laptop and doing a reinstall without all that bloatware? and upgrate the memory etc? And dont expect much from a celeron/semperon etc.

You cant ove....... yes.. you can overclock a hdd, just run FDisk and let it.. do its work :whistle:

mike99

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
What Laptop? What spec? How much memory? What OS? If it's a Sony with Vista and 1 Gb RAM, it's loaded with loads of fancy unneeded items at startup. Clear them all out and you will see a big difference. Download HDRune to check your HD performance.

Mike.

royalcrown

Distinguished
You can't overclock a drive...and most laptop drives are 4200 rpm and or low power and that equals SLOOOOOOOOW. You can either reformat to clear off junk, replace the drive with a faster model, or live with it.

1971Rhino

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008

You may want to explain what wiping is to this guy before he gets out the Windex!

He means reformating the hard drive and loading just the OS (Operating System)....Of course I'd be surprised if you even have an OS Disk....Most laptops have or have you make a recovery disk(s). Which wouldn't help because you'd be re-installing the "bloatware".

Being new to this as you say.....maybe you have friend or someone who can help you out that is near by, before you try anything before you know what you're doing......I'd hate for you to read these posts and start attempting anything on your own. Because asking if you can over clock a HDD pretty much tells everyone you're a noob without having to say...."I'm new at this". I'm not dogging you for being a noob...we all had to start somewhere. Being interested in this stuff is cool, and over time you'll learn more.

I would recommend uninstalling programs you don't use, but then I take it back...because I'm afraid you'll remove somthing you really need. Do lots more research! Good luck!

tommyholem

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2008
Sounds like you have either an ID10T error or PLBKC error. I would overclock the Laptop with a Timex Sequence using a flux compacitor in engaged the overdrive timing.

rezolution

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2008
Assuming this is not an obvious troll attempt by the OP,

Keeping the drives defragmented with a defragger like Diskeeper is the closest you can come to overclocking your drive LOL. Actually, one of the higher end Diskeeper versions shuffles files around to the fastest portion of the platter to accelerate file access..that would be the only 'OC'ing possible.

Otherwise you can go the 'SLi' route, and RAID 0 a couple of raptors lol.

liljone

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
epic_thread.jpg

G

i once had a laptop that came with Vista Home Premium pre-installed + its bloatware, useing about 765mb ram of the 1gb that was in there, it was still sluggish as Vista had a "bad-install" to it meaning the store got a screen on and out that thing went out the door. I re-installed Vista with my own copy and the laptop near tripled its speed after all the updates + the drivers and used now only 512mb ram of the 1gb.

I later upgraded the laptop to 4Gb of ddr2 but only 3Gb would show up, this is because u need a 64bit edition of windows to get over the 3Gb cap the 32bit editions seem to have. I hear 64bit has problems with alot of applications tho (since alot are still made only in 32bit) so for now im going to stick with my 32bit version of vista as i have no real problems now.

guitarjanitor

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2011
I'd have to build a time machine back to 2008 before we could get started on OCing that keyboard...

Ya know what, I'm okay with this necro-bump. This was an awesome thread XD

I was able to get my drive up to a little over 15,000 rpm by duct-taping my laptop to the intake fan of a jet engine such that the drive and the turbine were both spinning in the same direction. Unfortunately it did suffer a little bit of data loss when the laptop disintegrated...

Confusedracoon

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2010
thank you for getting rid of my head ache and making me smile =D. probably the best thing i had read in a while.

you can try to OC your hdd...please please please PLEASE tell us how it went....

i would allso say i think your suffering from the ID10T error.

Maybe, type into your browser - www.google.com

then type computer over-clocking 101.

enjoy

hpfreak

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010

Yeah, I did that before... hard drive works so much better now, just one problem.. I can't find any of my files or documents, does anyone have a solution for that? :pt1cable:

tchaff

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012
Just overclocked my mouse today. I was noticing significantly more response from my mouse then it popped and blew out smoke injuring my hand. Am i doing it wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.