Zerotherm Nirvana 120 - fan connection

budven

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
If you are using this heatsink are you using the supplied fan controller or just connecting it to the motherboard cpu fan connection?

budven

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
I know I don't have to use the fan controller but I was wondering what is the better configuration. If I use the supplied fan controller the fan speed is set to whatever speed I select. However, if I connect it to the motherboard I thought the motherboard may automatically adjust the fan speed based on cpu temp. Although I don't know if the mobo does that.

Sorry if you thought this was a dumb question!

Evilonigiri

Splendid
Jun 8, 2007
No, it's a good question. Some people likes to do it manually while others rather not bother with any hassling.

Look in your bios, there may be features where it can automatically adjust the fan speeds. In any case, I wouldn't recommend leaving it to the bios and just do it manually, using a fan controller like the Sunbeam Rheobus.

mweidler

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2007
I have mine plugged into the cpu_fan connector on the MB. It seems to run full bore though at all times. The fan controller that comes with it seems awkward. Whats a good program to set the fan speeds?

were you able to tighten the nirvana all the way down? If I do that i get cpu init errors. So I tightened the two top screws all the way and backed off a couple of turns on the bottom ones and cpu init went away. They are tension screws so i dont think its a problem. temps are pretty good too. 47c after 21 hours on full load. around 30-33 idle in everest

nman729

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
i routed teh fan cable outside of my case, and stuck it on the top. i let it run on high all the time and noise does not bother me. great heatsink by the way.