thegatekeeper

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2007
My drives are both rated at 300 megabytes/s, then why am i getting this:

slowtransferlz1.png

Im using these btw:

inforq2.png

Anyone have any insight?

Oh and my motherboard is an Asus Crosshair, thats the one with the nforce 590 chipset.

mike99

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
No, your drives are not rated at 300 Mb/s, the SATA II interface is rated at 300 Mb/s. A drive can only read data at the speed the data passes under the head. 300 Mb/s is the burst speed from the drives cache. Also, if the I/F on the motherboard is PCI, that is limited to a max of 133 Mb/s, (unless you are using Server motherboard with 66 MHz PCI bus and Server grade PCI controller) as long as no other data transfers occur. 300 Mb/s is just a marketing ploy to get you to upgrade. Use HDTune if you want to test your HD speed.

Mike

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Agreed, also the write speed is usually slower than the read speed. So at a minimum, the transfer rate will be as slow as the write/read speed of the slowest drive, not to mention any other bottlenecks/overhead that might be caused by your configuration or OS. I don't know if your drives are included but this may give you some idea.

3.5" Hard Drive Charts - Tom's Hardware

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
No, the SATA 300Gb/sec. number is just the bandwidth of the interface. It has no bearing on the drive speed. The drive speed is limited by the physical characteristics of the hard drive itself, they haven't technically saturated the speed of the PATA bandwidth yet, and certainly not the SATA 150Gb/sec. Your Raptor is SATA 150Gb/sec.

Look at the charts that I have linked and check the various benchmarks. Also it depends on how fragmented your drives are and whether you are transferring one large file or many small ones, there are a lot of variables.

Here is a link to HD Tune that mike99 suggested. You will not be able to bench the write times because the drive is not blank but it will give you some idea. I reiterate there are also other variables that will slow you down.

jakt2good4u

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2010
You seem like your pretty good with comps.

When i transfer Data my comp goes ultra slow. its Vista and i got it in 07.

Hp Pavillion dv6000

My transfer rates can start at mayb 23 mb/s (which is still very slow)
But in a matter of seconds be down to 1 or 2 mb/s

Why does it slow down? and why is it so slow?
if you know please respond at jakt2good4u@yahoo.com
thanks

Kewlx25

Distinguished
"When i transfer Data my comp goes ultra slow. its Vista and i got it in 07. "

sounds like it's not using DMA for some reason.. don't quote me on it though.

I get an actual transfer rate of 110MB(bytes)/sec when doing SMB on my Win7 to my wife's Vista machine over our gigabit network and only 4% kernel time.

Sounds like that described slow "Vista" issues which is some bad settings somewhere or driver/hardware issues.

jakt2good4u

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2010
I just did some transferring onto my external hard drive today.

It went as slow as 700 kb/s........

Do you have any ideas of things I should try?

If theres nothing im going to reset the comp back to manufacturer settings soon and see if that fixes it.

Kewlx25

Distinguished
I did a quick google. Most responses where about the network slowness, but one person said they had issues with anti-virus 'causing HD to HD slowness similar to yours. Disable any anti-virus, reboot, and give it a shot.

sub mesa

Distinguished
jakt2good4u: sounds like you connected USB2.0 (480Mbps) device together with a USB 1.0/1.1 (12Mbps). In that case, both devices will run 12Mbps or ~1MB/s.

Antivirus or other protection stuff may also castrate your I/O performance. But i guess that's just the trade-off when running Windows.