B/W display from computer

When I use my Sony 26" LCD HDTV (KLV 26HG2) as a monitor with my
notebook (HP Pavilion ZD7180 w/Media Center/Windows Media), using an
S-Video cable, I only get a black and white screen on the TV,
although I do get color on my notebook screen.

As I boot up, the opening Windows logo does appear in color, but as
soon as I get to the logon screen, it is in black and white and the
image is also very grainy from that point on.

When I hook up the computer to my brother's Samsung DLP, using the
same S-Video cable, I get color for all applications.

I've tried various settings from the computer as well as on the TV,
but can't find any that will allow me to view my computer applications
in color.

BTW, the opening logo looks great on my HDTV, even better than what I
saw on the Samsung DLP, but after that, everything is in B/W and not
clear at all.

S-Video is the only connection I can make with the TV/computer
combination I have.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Don
5 answers Last reply
More about display computer

    Another device connected to the same S-Video function ok? If so then it
    probably has to do with the way the L/T is handling the video signals.<

    On Sun, 01 May 2005 18:03:08 GMT, Don wrote:

    > When I use my Sony 26" LCD HDTV (KLV 26HG2) as a monitor with my
    > notebook (HP Pavilion ZD7180 w/Media Center/Windows Media), using an
    > S-Video cable, I only get a black and white screen on the TV,
    > although I do get color on my notebook screen.
    >
    > As I boot up, the opening Windows logo does appear in color, but as
    > soon as I get to the logon screen, it is in black and white and the
    > image is also very grainy from that point on.

    What screen resolution are you using? Try changing it to 640x480 with 60Hz
    screen refresh rate. This is the resolution of the Windows Logo at startup.
    If that works try increasing the resolution to 800x600 and keeping the 60Hz
    refresh rate.

    > When I hook up the computer to my brother's Samsung DLP, using the
    > same S-Video cable, I get color for all applications.

    Sounds like his TV is capable of higer resolutions than your's.

    Brad H

    I think that's where the problem is, also. I think both you and Art
    have the answer, but my resolution can't seem to be brought down any
    lower than 800 X 600 even when I change the color setting to a lower
    level. It still doesn't work at 800 X 600 but I didn't try changing
    the refresh rate.

    I'll work on that some more and see if I can get it down to a lower
    setting as well as higher settings in case that makes a difference.

    Also, I just remembered I never tried chaning my Windows monitor
    settings to a different monitor type which might have an effect.

    The fact that it works fine on my brother's TV tells me that you guys
    have the answer - it's somewhere in my Windows settings.

    Thanks,

    Don

    On Tue, 03 May 2005 04:57:58 GMT, dsarvas@yahoo.com (Don) wrote:

    >On Mon, 2 May 2005 14:39:13 -0700, Brad Houser
    ><bradDOThouser@intel.com> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sun, 01 May 2005 18:03:08 GMT, Don wrote:
    >>
    >>> When I use my Sony 26" LCD HDTV (KLV 26HG2) as a monitor with my
    >>> notebook (HP Pavilion ZD7180 w/Media Center/Windows Media), using an
    >>> S-Video cable,
    So it is a TV-out signal, isn't it?

    >>> I only get a black and white screen on the TV,
    >>> although I do get color on my notebook screen.
    >>>
    >>> As I boot up, the opening Windows logo does appear in color, but as
    >>> soon as I get to the logon screen, it is in black and white and the
    >>> image is also very grainy from that point on.
    >>
    >>What screen resolution are you using? Try changing it to 640x480 with 60Hz
    >>screen refresh rate. This is the resolution of the Windows Logo at startup.
    >>If that works try increasing the resolution to 800x600 and keeping the 60Hz
    >>refresh rate.
    >>

    >>> When I hook up the computer to my brother's Samsung DLP, using the
    >>> same S-Video cable, I get color for all applications.
    >>
    >>Sounds like his TV is capable of higer resolutions than your's.
    >>

    >>Brad H
    >
    >I think that's where the problem is, also. I think both you and Art
    >have the answer, but my resolution can't seem to be brought down any
    >lower than 800 X 600 even when I change the color setting to a lower
    >level. It still doesn't work at 800 X 600 but I didn't try changing
    >the refresh rate.

    I think you should look for a setting of the TV-standard on the TV-out
    port, not the Windows desktop resolution or Monitor refresh rate.

    >I'll work on that some more and see if I can get it down to a lower
    >setting as well as higher settings in case that makes a difference.
    >
    >Also, I just remembered I never tried chaning my Windows monitor
    >settings to a different monitor type which might have an effect.
    The monitor type should only matter if you use a Monitor type of
    signal, as VGA or DVI.
    /Jan

    On Thu, 05 May 2005 06:30:11 GMT, nospam@nospam.se (Jan B) wrote:

    >On Tue, 03 May 2005 04:57:58 GMT, dsarvas@yahoo.com (Don) wrote:
    >

    >>On Mon, 2 May 2005 14:39:13 -0700, Brad Houser
    >><bradDOThouser@intel.com> wrote:

    >So it is a TV-out signal, isn't it?

    Yes, it is.

    >>>What screen resolution are you using? Try changing it to 640x480 with 60Hz
    >>>screen refresh rate. This is the resolution of the Windows Logo at startup.
    >>>If that works try increasing the resolution to 800x600 and keeping the 60Hz
    >>>refresh rate.

    >>>Sounds like his TV is capable of higer resolutions than your's.
    >>>

    >>>Brad H
    >>
    >>I think that's where the problem is, also. I think both you and Art
    >>have the answer, but my resolution can't seem to be brought down any
    >>lower than 800 X 600 even when I change the color setting to a lower
    >>level. It still doesn't work at 800 X 600 but I didn't try changing
    >>the refresh rate.
    >
    >I think you should look for a setting of the TV-standard on the TV-out
    >port, not the Windows desktop resolution or Monitor refresh rate.

    I haven't tried that. I'll look for that setting and give that a try
    since changing screen settings is not having an effect,

    >>I'll work on that some more and see if I can get it down to a lower
    >>setting as well as higher settings in case that makes a difference.
    >>
    >>Also, I just remembered I never tried chaning my Windows monitor
    >>settings to a different monitor type which might have an effect.
    >The monitor type should only matter if you use a Monitor type of
    >signal, as VGA or DVI.

    Which I'm not. Thanks.
    >/Jan

HDTV TV Computer Home Theatre