Moving mult. Files with pattern-matching - how-to?

July 14, 2005 11:48:12 AM

I frequently need to rename a large number of similary-named files in a
single directory. How can I do this using pattern matching in Windows XP
Proffesional?

For example: "mv *.abc *.xyz"
This would (on other systems) change all the .abc file-name extensions to
..xyz filename extensions.

This would save me TONS of time but I can't figure it out in Explorer OR
from the command line. I already skimmed the FAQ and did a search on this
site, but didn't see any topics that really looked relevant.

Thanks
Anonymous
July 14, 2005 3:28:58 PM

Open a command prompt
CD (change directory) to the folder you want
and

ren *.abc *.xyz

Rename (ren)

Chdir (Cd)

Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:5505C277-EED9-4F3C-AE62-F5F56B428266@microsoft.com,
ravenslay3r <ravenslay3r@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> I frequently need to rename a large number of similary-named files in a
> single directory. How can I do this using pattern matching in Windows XP
> Proffesional?
>
> For example: "mv *.abc *.xyz"
> This would (on other systems) change all the .abc file-name extensions to
> .xyz filename extensions.
>
> This would save me TONS of time but I can't figure it out in Explorer OR
> from the command line. I already skimmed the FAQ and did a search on this
> site, but didn't see any topics that really looked relevant.
>
> Thanks
Anonymous
July 14, 2005 4:19:32 PM

Command-line reference

Or >>

Command-line reference
Start | Run | Copy and paste the following line:

hh ntcmds.chm

Click OK.
-----

Command-line reference A-Z

Or >>

Command-line reference A-Z
Start | Run | Copy and paste the following line:

%windir%\hh.exe ms-its:c:\Windows\Help\ntcmds.chm::/ntcmds.htm

Click OK.

I have a shortcut to
%windir%\hh.exe ms-its:c:\Windows\Help\ntcmds.chm::/ntcmds.htm
on my Start Menu.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes