Moving mult. Files with pattern-matching - how-to?

I frequently need to rename a large number of similary-named files in a
single directory. How can I do this using pattern matching in Windows XP
Proffesional?

For example: "mv *.abc *.xyz"
This would (on other systems) change all the .abc file-name extensions to
..xyz filename extensions.

This would save me TONS of time but I can't figure it out in Explorer OR
from the command line. I already skimmed the FAQ and did a search on this
site, but didn't see any topics that really looked relevant.

Thanks
3 answers Last reply
More about moving mult files pattern matching

    Open a command prompt
    CD (change directory) to the folder you want
    and

    ren *.abc *.xyz

    Rename (ren)
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/rename.mspx

    Chdir (Cd)
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/chdir.mspx

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:5505C277-EED9-4F3C-AE62-F5F56B428266@microsoft.com,
    ravenslay3r <ravenslay3r@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:

    "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

    > Open a command prompt
    > CD (change directory) to the folder you want
    > and
    >
    > ren *.abc *.xyz
    >

    > Rename (ren)
    > http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/rename.mspx
    >
    > Chdir (Cd)
    > http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/chdir.mspx

    Yup - Thats It! :-)
    I've looked all over for this command - thanks!

    Command-line reference
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/ntcmds_o.mspx

    Or >>

    Command-line reference
    Start | Run | Copy and paste the following line:

    hh ntcmds.chm

    Click OK.
    -----

    Command-line reference A-Z
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/ntcmds_o.mspx

    Or >>

    Command-line reference A-Z
    Start | Run | Copy and paste the following line:

    %windir%\hh.exe ms-its:c:\Windows\Help\ntcmds.chm::/ntcmds.htm

    Click OK.

    I have a shortcut to
    %windir%\hh.exe ms-its:c:\Windows\Help\ntcmds.chm::/ntcmds.htm
    on my Start Menu.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:F616CFF1-A8F6-4CF1-93BA-6F64405736C9@microsoft.com,
    ravenslay3r <ravenslay3r@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
    >
    >> Open a command prompt
    >> CD (change directory) to the folder you want
    >> and
    >>
    >> ren *.abc *.xyz
    >>

    >> Rename (ren)

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/rename.mspx

    >> Chdir (Cd)

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/chdir.mspx

    > Yup - Thats It! :-)
    > I've looked all over for this command - thanks!

Windows XP