cowcrusher

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
Hey, I have some case fans that aren't very powerful and they are a bit loud so I am going to replace them, but I would like to also have a controller for all of them. Also I recently bought a tuniq tower and I rather not have to go to the back side to change the fan speed. I was thinking of getting this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813999251

I am trying to keep it cheap. 30 dollars might even be pushing it, since I don't have a job right now because of all my school work. But I this fan controller seems pretty good, if you guys have any other suggestions for a controller please tell me. A temp gauge on it would be a good bonus ;) .

Also, if I do get that Zalman controller I am worried about my pc case door not being able to close because of it. I have a raidmax smilodon and there seems to be only around 1 or 2 mm of space from the bay's and the door. Thanks

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
I use the Zalman Fan controller, and I seem to like it. When installed, the knobs protrude about 1/2 inch or over 1cm. So if your talking mm, that is not going to be enough room for the door I'm afraid.

I also use the use the tuniq HS as well. 4 fans are hooked up (out of 6) to it for now (3 adjustable, the 4th on toggle for side fan). One annoying thing is, you can't monitor RPMs with this controller, but the led lights can help identify if the fan is running slow (it flickers, strobe effect). Also its based on 3pin for power. You can use the regular 4pin with 3pin adapter. I have 2 fans that way (one on toggle) although it will not light up (except the toggle when turned on) since it is not 3 pin, the led light will not light up, so I'm totally blind to know if it spinning too slow without directly looking at it.

cowcrusher

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006

hmm, so do you know any other controllers that might be better?

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Umm.. well there are LCD fan controllers with other features that I've seen or read about, but the thing is, its wiring would be more to deal with, and since you have a door, your not exactly going to be able to do or tell anything without opening the door. Unless you took it off or left it open.

And example:

AeroCool Gatewatch2

Now that is just an example, of course the price is even too high for me to consider. And with the other fan controllers, its very hard to say if it would fit properly with the door close on your case.

cowcrusher

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
I usually leave my door open but I dont think I can fit it since I had to move my 2 drives down 1 slot so that the wires could reach so I have 2 open slots to fit that but one is top and 1 is at the bottom so maybe if I can find 1 that is 1 5.25 bay slot