Old Socket A

I've got an older PC of my daughter's that I'm taking apart right now trying to figure if I can just add some components to boost it or whether I have to go with new mobo/cpu. It's a Socket 462. I can't find anyone selling CPU's for it. Hahah! :lol:

Are there any CPU's that are backwards compatable with it?

Thanks!

~Mani
18 answers Last reply
More about socket
  1. What are the specs....?

    Motherboard model
    processor
    memory
    etc................
  2. I'm really interested in whether I can just get a new CPU to give it a boost. Obviously it's older and the prices will be low, which is a key point.

    I'd rather not launch into a new dual core chip since that means a new mobo and memory.

    What I have now --> AMD 2100 Duron, Abit N4F7, mobo with 512 memory. I'd have to double check the vid card, but it's nothing special. Again, just looking on whether I can upgrade the processor and get a bit more out of what I've got without putting out a lot of $$.

    Thanks!
  3. actually, you might be in luck, i have an extra athlon 2800+ here
  4. Maniton said:
    I'm really interested in whether I can just get a new CPU to give it a boost. Obviously it's older and the prices will be low, which is a key point.

    I'd rather not launch into a new dual core chip since that means a new mobo and memory.

    What I have now --> AMD 2100 Duron, Abit N4F7, mobo with 512 memory. I'd have to double check the vid card, but it's nothing special. Again, just looking on whether I can upgrade the processor and get a bit more out of what I've got without putting out a lot of $$.

    Thanks!


    It is probably a XP 2100+ processor the durons did not use that model number...The durons went up like 1000 1200 1800 was the highest.

    You might be able to find a new processor on ebay. The 2100+ runs at 1733 mhz. is a pretty good socket A chip. You might be able to over clock it by setting the FSB from 133 to 166 in the bios. which would make it run at
    2158 mhz you might not get that much of an over clock but you could try it. If you picked up a gig of ddr 400 you could over clock the chip easier since the FSB would not be limited to 133. I don't think it is worth it to get a new cpu for it. They are over priced and even the highest end socket A is not going to give you a huge boost. I suggest trying to over clock the current cpu and adding more memory. Just make sure you have adequate cooling.


    Check out these old cpu charts for a reference.


    http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu_2004.html?modelx=33&model1=86&model2=81&chart=26


    Are you sure that is the right mother board model. I googled it and found nothing.
  5. Use cpu-z, a free download to id your board and cpu. Are you sure your cpu is a duron? If it's a 2100 sempron, then I wouldn't upgrade it.
  6. Maniton said:
    I've got an older PC of my daughter's that I'm taking apart right now trying to figure if I can just add some components to boost it or whether I have to go with new mobo/cpu. It's a Socket 462. I can't find anyone selling CPU's for it. Hahah! :lol:

    Are there any CPU's that are backwards compatable with it?

    Thanks!

    ~Mani
    Ive got a 1ghz athlon mobile cpu you can have if you like. You can send me a self addresed stamped envelope.
  7. my bad, i didnt read down far enough, you already have a cpu, been trying to get rid of this thing b4 i try to use it in a system,LOL. Im a bit of a pack ra so i dont throw away things right away.
  8. o1die said:
    Use cpu-z, a free download to id your board and cpu. Are you sure your cpu is a duron? If it's a 2100 sempron, then I wouldn't upgrade it.



    You are probably right it probably is a sempron. Forgot all about those.
  9. I got Athlon 3000 sck A but i doubt it'll help you. I'm from Croatia, so even if i want to give it to you, sending cost are more expensive than buying a new one. Only problem is there are no new CPU sck. A (462). Try on ebay or something like that, and memory is now very cheap, so buy more memory. Everything above that is crazy to buy, beacouse new dual core CPU (4200 X2, 4400 X2,...) with 2GB memory on 800 MHz and 8600GT is cheaper than all you will buy for that old PC.
  10. Pin mod+ volt mod = new life to an old system.
  11. If your board is NF7 (the name you typed does not exist on their website) it supports up to 400mhz fsb then the fasted chip you can get is 3200+
  12. A 3200+ if you can find one will give a boost....and lets say a 9600XT - 9800 pro would also give a boost...but its not even gonna come close to todays dual/quad core systems. A 3200+ was in the same range as a A64 2800+ to 3000+(those 2800's did not stay long...just when the Athlon64 first came out...).

    It may be cheaper with the combo deals around now to just start a new X2 3800+ or Pentium Dual(Not Pentium D) core system....

    my 2 cents

    Pin modding is not as useful once they locked the Athlon XP's (around the 2100+ point....you may be in luck...)
    http://www.ocinside.de/go_e.html?http://www.ocinside.de/html/workshop/pinmod/amd_pinmod.html
  13. considering how old that pc is, the most substantial upgrade you can probably give it, is a currently available pata hdd, and most likely what would amount to a much faster pata hdd than whats currently in there, that would give a several fold perceived improvement compared to a slightly faster cpu. (and if the mb supports sata, all the better)

    this will probably be the most worthwhile investment to make for it, seconded by a memory upgrade, most likely, regardless of the memory speed... because as long as you have enough to minimize pagefile usage, thats what matters most.

    if youre concerned about being able to play games faster, consider a replacement gpu (and possibly a new psu too, depending on how demanding the gpu is)

    as far as just upgrading the cpu by itself, it isnt worth it, not compared to anything else you could do, for possibly less money.
  14. Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I know. I'm probably looking at dumping good money into an older system. I'll probably just wait then and save some $$ and just get a dual core setup.

    Thanks again! At least it helped me realize that there just isn't much I'm gonna do with this old system. It was lower end when I built it about 2-3 years ago, so it figures it's gone by the wayside now. I was hoping there was somewhere I could go to get some low end chip for little $$. Oh, well.

    I suppose I'll have to figure out what I want then for that HTPC....but that's another thread for another day.

    ~Mani
  15. Memory and hard drive. RAM is 30-50$ for a 1gig stick.
    AGP vid. card for 50$, - nV.6200(comes w/game), or Ati 8500
    I may have a 2600+ I have clocked it to 2,222mhz for years on end. Still kick'n but. Stock is 2,134mhz this will give you a huge increase in perf. The RAM will too. Either one would be about the same amount of perf. increase w/o buying a new vid. card.
    Just 27$ for 512mb. will give leaps above your current setup. (total 1gig.) right? I do this for people all the time and they say it's like they have a new computer now. Just another 512mb of RAM. BUT the newer hard drive would be very beneficial too. Maybe as much as more RAM???? ...doubt it though.
  16. i'm interested from which country is Rolly59. You never heard of ABIT NF7?
  17. OP typed the name N4F7 so I was guessing Abit NF7 one of the best overclocking socket 462 boards. And if you are wondering where I am from originally Iceland lived in Denmark for 8 years south east Asia for 2.5 years and US for the past 3. By the way my first PC was Hyundai PC XT 10Mhz with 30Mb harddrive and EGA wonder GPU hell of a machine. That was over 20 years ago blazing fast graphics in the old Sierra Online adventure games before they invented VGA.
  18. rolli59 said:
    OP typed the name N4F7 so I was guessing Abit NF7 one of the best overclocking socket 462 boards. And if you are wondering where I am from originally Iceland lived in Denmark for 8 years south east Asia for 2.5 years and US for the past 3. By the way my first PC was Hyundai PC XT 10Mhz with 30Mb harddrive and EGA wonder GPU hell of a machine. That was over 20 years ago blazing fast graphics in the old Sierra Online adventure games before they invented VGA.


    Cool. he, he
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards CPUs Components Socket