Sign in with
Your question

Computer Fails To Start After Clean Install Of XP

Last response: in Windows XP
March 29, 2010 4:01:52 PM

Hello,
After a clean install of Windows XP Home Premium, my computer fails to start. It attempts to start and runs for about 20 seconds until the XP Screen comes up then it cuts off. On the 2nd attempt, it takes you to the "Windows Did Not Start Normally". I can start in "Safe Mode", shut down, and on the next attempt it starts normally. Device Manager does not indicate any problems. Are some start up files missing, or ? Thanks!
March 29, 2010 4:06:59 PM

Any errors in the event viewer?

I would suggest updating your graphics driver, and downloading SP3, if you haven't already done so.
m
l
March 29, 2010 10:03:59 PM

Thanks for your response! I was not familiar with the event viewer and there were some errors which I haven't been able to resolve yet. I did uninstall and reinstall the graphics driver.

Thanks again!
m
l
Related resources
March 29, 2010 11:18:54 PM

Restart, and try to duplicate the freezing problem. If it happens again, look for errors (application or system) that happen at that time.

If you can't resolve them, post the details here, and we can try to help.
m
l
March 29, 2010 11:59:37 PM

How much ram do you have? I recently had a similar problem reinstalling windows xp on a system with 6 gigs of ram (don't ask I know it can't see more than 3 gigs) I had all kinds of issues until I removed the ram. I verified the ram wasn't bad via Linux boot cd and was able to run Linux just fine and see all 6 gigs of ram.

That's one possibility.
m
l
March 30, 2010 3:43:41 PM

aford10 said:
Restart, and try to duplicate the freezing problem. If it happens again, look for errors (application or system) that happen at that time.

If you can't resolve them, post the details here, and we can try to help.

Thanks! I failed to mention that I had installed Service Pack 3. I have also updated all drivers.

When I use the Event Viewer I have 3 errors that are listed under System.

(1) ID: 10005
Source: DCOM,
Name: EVENT_RPCSS_START_SERVICE_FAILURE.

When I use Regedit and go to the Service Name for the Services listed, they all appear to be system32\Drivers.

(2) ID: 7026
Source: Service Control Manager
Name: EVENT_BOOT_SYSTEM_DIRVERS_FAILED

(3) ID: 7001
Source: Sevice Control Manager
Name: EVENT_SERVICE_START_FAILED_II

I did an sc query and found the WIN32_EXIT_CODE to be zero for all the services.

It appears that I have corrected a couple of small problems. However, the startup problem continues. I hope I was able to explain what I found accurately. I have not worked with some of these tools before.

Thanks for you help!
m
l
March 30, 2010 3:48:42 PM

cliffdodger said:
How much ram do you have? I recently had a similar problem reinstalling windows xp on a system with 6 gigs of ram (don't ask I know it can't see more than 3 gigs) I had all kinds of issues until I removed the ram. I verified the ram wasn't bad via Linux boot cd and was able to run Linux just fine and see all 6 gigs of ram.

That's one possibility.

Thanks for your reply! I'm using 4 GB of ram and it checks out okay. It appears that the system drivers are not loading at startup for some reason. I'm still working on the problem and appreciate you taking the time to respond!
m
l
March 30, 2010 5:08:04 PM

Will do! I will let you know how it goes. Thanks!
m
l
!