upgrading notebook cpu : how to use Cpu Intel specs

jv_guano

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2007
Hi!

before you start saying "it's not worth it, it's expensive, it's better if you buy a new HD" and so on (I red this topic http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/245977-28-changing-processor-notebook, just let me tell you!

I opened my laptop (HP Omnibook XE3) to add an internal antenna, so, after having like 60 screws around, I started thinking "it's really in pieces, so try to see if you can upgrade something!"

so, I'd be pleased to upgrade my cpu..I know I won't gain a double speed, but I would make it just for the sake of "do it yourself"

moreover, on ebay I found those cpus little faster than mine are sold just for 15 bucks more or less, and that is not much money.
I would like to improve my RAM as first step, but being really out-of-date is really much more expensive.

don't start to talk also about heat: with the curent CPU, my fan kicks on once in a week, i even cleaned fansink since I opened my laptop, and I'm making some improvements on my heatsink, so no heat problems!

and, I also checked other website, googled for my model to find which CPU did provide when it was on the market, but didn't find anything useful...
I also have a pdf service manual of my model, and they didn't even list my CPU on the table; anyway on that table it reaches a PIII 1.13 GhZ or a Celeron 933 MhZ.

so, let's start

first, I found this wonderful page!!

http://processorfinder.intel.com/Default.aspx

my CPU is intel Pentium III 700, SL4JZ

my question is:
which of the following specs should not vary to be sure that the CPU I'm gonna buy will working?
and, which of the following specs can I try to vary a little bit, being very likely that the new CPU is going to work anyway?

CPU Speed: well, I'm here to change this!| ;)
Bus Speed: now 100; I think passing to 133 should work, but I cannot be 100% sure
Manufacturing Technology: I think this doesn't matter
Package Type: what about this? mine is Micro-PGA2; watching photographs seems all the same, except the MMC-2 Package
Core Stepping: really don't have any idea
Thermal Design Power: I know it can vary, but not so much if I want to keep safe my motherboard
VID Voltage Range: that's very tricky: do you think it should be the same, or could i chhose a CPU needing some volts more?
CPUID String: as far as I understood this is just a way to identify the processor...maybe all processor that have the first three digits identic are 100% compatibile, others can be but not 100%

I really hope to get all the possible feedbacks from you!

thank you very much in advance!
sory if I was too long, just made it to explain better the situation and prevent some questions like "have you tried googling" ?

thank you!

Starmicro Inc has a pentium III mobile 850 part number KP80526GY850256 for $15 shipped that may work for you. If it doesn't work, you'll be out only $15. If you want to know for sure, I'd send the motherboard part number to hp and ask them what is the maximum cpu the board will run. Voltage requirements vary from cpu to cpu. The 850 is about the maximum 100 fsb mobile cpu I would find, and it's priced right. I doubt the board will work with 133 fsb cpus, but you can try if you like. Be sure to use just one drop on thermal grease on the new cpu center core when you install it. The heatsink will spread it out as you press it down.

jv_guano

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2007
thank you very much for your reply!

yaeh, you got exactly what I meant..CPUs suitable to me are sold for just few bucks; anyway, I wrote this post just not to buy 5 CPU in order to find the best for me! 5 times few is many! :p

I thought too about the MB number...but I couldn't find it anyway..I'm afraid it's on the downside of the MB, and I'm not very willing to extract the whole MB

I know voltages vary from CPU to CPU, but do you think the MB can manage a voltage of 0.1 ~ 0.3 more than the original one?

i was thinking to buy a Celeron instead of a PIII; they consume less Watt, so I can choose one of the highest CPU; but they tend to have less cache size than a PIII

can you tell me something about the Package Type??

the thermal grease is already in my hand! ;)

thank for the hints!