2900 pro won't overclock!?!?!?!?

darwahan

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2007
i bought a 2900 pro and installed it and tried to overclock it, but the ati overdrive option isnt in the control center. the control center information about my card says that the gpu is at 550mhz and the mem is at 500mhz which is way low compared to what other people say they have theirs clocked to. anybody have a clue as to why the option has been disabled?

spoonboy

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007
Yeah you need an 8 pin plug in the 8 pin socket on your card I believe. If youve just got 2 6-pin plugs installed you can still overclock, you just need to use some other overclocking programs. Dont know of top of my head, try googling it.

darwahan

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2007
you the man spoonboy you leave good replys from what i have seen, my psu has an 8pin connector, but one of the prongs isnt the right shape and it wont fit in the card. any clue on the reason for that?

Yea spoonboy is right the aditional power is specifically for the AIT Overdrive feature.
As for the conector being the wrong shape then i would say that you need a different one maybe they have a specific one for ATI and Nvidea ? A quick Google should tell you what you need to know.
Remember Google is your friend :)
Mactronix

spoonboy

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007
Well thanks very much :) cant help you on the connector I dont think, maybe its a motherboard one you were trying to use?? Go with the 2x6pins, you can still overclock.

Ibanezrg570

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2007
ATI overdrive in the CCC will not be available unless you have a specific 8 pin PCI-E connector (usually found on higher end DX10 compatible PSU's). You might be able to find an adapter of sorts but what really should be used is a compatible PSU of higher grade. As for OCing with 2x6 PIN's, you may have luck using ATI Tool or ATI Tray tools but do so at your own risk. My HD2900XT did not like being powered by just the 2x6 pins. She would screetch like a siren when loaded. I bought an Enermax Liberty 620WT specifically for its 8-Pin PCI-E.

And for the love of god, please do not attempt to plug in your 8-Pin MB plug from your PSU unless you really like the smell of burnt PSU's.

Ohh, and if you had not realized, you will need both 1x6-Pin and 1x8-Pin, not just the 8-Pin, both. She is a hungry VGA.

spoonboy

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007
"And for the love of god, please do not attempt to plug in your 8-Pin MB plug from your PSU unless you really like the smell of burnt PSU's."

LOL - if it dont fit dont try to shove it in :)

pogsnet

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
It stands somewhere in the bathroom or in the the trash can. lol! 3800 is faster than 2900 and better picture quality rendering.

unatommer

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2007
I use Rivatuner to overclock my 2900pro using two 6pin connectors. I read somewhere that you need one 6 pin and one 8 pin to use ATI overdrive - it simply does not show up in the catalyst menu if you are missing the 8 pin connector. I have my 2900pro clocked up to XT speeds and it runs great...rivatuner seems to only increase the clock speed when I'm running a game.