Distinguished
Nov 2, 2007
I've just built my new PC.
Gigabyte GA-MA69G-S3H motherboard BIOS Ver F1
AMD athlon 64 X2 4800+ processor
Corsair 1GB DDR2 RAM (2pcs)
Seagate 320GB 7200rpm 16MB cache
Intergrated VGA

The first night I installed Windows XP Pro service pack 2 and some softwares. I had to stop since it was late. The second night I continued to install other software and everything was complete nothing was wrong.

The next morning when I switch on my PC I get this on my screen ATI Radeon ......... (can't remember the rest). So I restart my PC and before it enters windows it auto restarts. When it finally enters windows it hangs. I've tried several times it is stills the same fault as mentioned either auto restarts or hangs. Tried clear CMOS also cannot solve problem. Tried my PC on my other monitor since the my present one got some problem and I get a long beep sound every 3 to 4 seconds

I've tried switching the 2 Rams to the other slot and also change the power supply still the same problem long beep . Is it because of the motherboard? Please help. Thanks in advance

bcboy

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2007
Um, that's doesn't sound good. Check your mobo manual, it might contain beep codes, or contact Gigabyte themselves for that information. If the motherboard can beep, then it and the PSU can't be blamed, and the beep code is trying to tell you what IS wrong.

altazi

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2007
Did you run memtest86 before you loaded the OS? After the OS load, did you run prime95 (or other such SW) to verify the stability of your system?

FWIW, things get really weirdly unstable when you are installing SW in a system with bad RAM. . .

Even now, you might try running memtest86 and checking to see if one of your memory modules is defective. It happens - I got a bad Corsair XMS Pro stick - brand new.

Regards,

Altazi

hell_spawn

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
my guess is PSU.... but check your manual for beep codes.... you say it's just one long beep.. let me look into it for you

hell_spawn

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
AH-HA! as promised:

Q: What do the beeps emitted during the POST mean?
A: The following Award BIOS beep code descriptions may help you identify possible computer problems.
(For reference only.)
1 short: System boots successfully
2 short: CMOS setting error
1 long, 1 short: Memory or motherboard error
1 long, 2 short: Monitor or graphics card error
1 long, 3 short: Keyboard error
1 long, 9 short: BIOS ROM error
Continuous long beeps: Graphics card not inserted properly
Continuous short beeps: Power error

if they are long beeps:

double check power connections to the card
reseat the card (remove it then place it back in)
and then I realized you said you have intagrated graphics...

go into your bios and go to advance the under Init Display First select OnChipVGA press F10 to save and exit BIOS and hopefully that helps...

also do you have anything in the PCI/PCIe slots?

if that doesn't work

replace the PSU because you have confused long beeps with short beeps lol don't worry it could happen to the best of us

Best of luck