Windows xp doesn't start up.

chicagopiano

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
Hello!
My problem is that windows xp pro sp3 restarts consistently and I can get only to the boot windows in safe mode, last good config and so on...
Even though I had problems before with the os, I can rewind the story back to a 0x00000050 bsod error which I got yesterday. As the windows debugging tools said it was a ntoskrnl.exe file that couldn't be loaded, so I grabbed the windows xp pro cdand in the recovery console overwrote this file. So far so go, even after a restart. But then I used xp repair pro to clean and fix registry, but ended up being in a sad situation, when I restarted the pc after cleaning 300> registry files.
So what are your suggestions? Maybe I could do something through the recovery console with the registry or it would not do anything? If I install windows xp pro on another hdd, then, would it be possible to recover the registry(if it does anything)?
Thanks! :)

graywolf

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
Should have stopped after the ntoskrnl.exe repair. :( Registry cleaners generally do damage, unless you're very experienced in decoding the results. If you backed up the registry before "cleaning," restore the backup, otherwise it's gone. You overwrote it.

But if you didn't back it up: Try Last Know Good Configuration.

If that doesn't work:
You obviously know a lot about using the disk :) . Try a repair install from the disk, which will repair damaged files and/or registry entries. (You can't use the disk JUST to repair the registry.) It will preserve your programs and data, but you will have to reinstall all succeeding updates. And throw out all your registry cleaners. Use CCleaner, skipping over the registry repair feature. Ccleaner is safe, and I never back up before using it, which is about weekly for years.

When you're up and running, look into a cloning program for copying your entire drive while it's healthy.At one time, Acronis was the only choice, but others have come along. EASEUS Todo Backup and Paragon are free. I use EASEUS.

graywolf

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010

I'm not familair with that technique from MS

You want to use the registry of the other HD as a substitute it for this one? No. Because the registry is changed by all your hardware and programs you've installed, and the new one must contain those.

You didn't reply if you had tried Last Know Good Config, which is before Win starts.

If that doesn't work, you have to do a repair install. If your CD already has XP SP3, it shouldn't take that long.

chicagopiano

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
:ange: Certainly, the last good configuration didn't work. Ok. I am going to install xp sp3 on the other hdd just for some time and to be sure everything in my documents is copied and pasted, because I think I want a new hdd, as that old hdd isn't so fresh anymore. :)

graywolf

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
But you realize that way you'll have to reinstall your programs, and customize each one and Windows all over again?

A repair install will retain all your data and programs. By FRESH, I don't think you mean you have hardware failure. If it's not clanking or making other strange noise, I would really recommend the non-destructive repair. So copy your data to the spare drive instead.

If you persist in doing this the hard way :p, Include Firefox or Thunderbitrd profiles, Favorites, your mail, address book, photos, anything you have created yourself.