hr-03 and fan location

fritsk

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
Ok, the plan is to have 2 24" samsung 244t's with a 8800gt each (or maybe in sli, undecided yet).
No overclocking, but I want the thing to be as cool and quiet as possible.

The hr03 looks interesting, but the are a bit big, so mounting a fan on each of them might be problematic.
Using a fan on the side of the case doesn't look like a good idea as the air won't flow through the fins of the cooler.

So, are there cases with extra fan mounts so that I can use 1 fan to push air length wise through the fans of both coolers? Maybe a deeper case with some room between the cards and the harddisk cages?

Or is this a silly idea?

Thnx,
Frits

fritsk

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
Yup, but even in compact mode with the cooler on the back of the card, won't it be pretty tight between 2 cards if there is also a fan on there?

That's why I thought pushing air from the front of the case across both coolers might be an alternative.

Evilonigiri

Splendid
Jun 8, 2007
How about do one in compact mode and do the other in the normal mode? Then install the fans on both of them?

If you want to use a front case fan, you'd need a powerful one.

fritsk

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006

Even if the fan is located between de HD cages and the cards? If this is possible that is.
I realise that a fan blowing from the front of the case isn't good enough.

Evilonigiri

Splendid
Jun 8, 2007

In that case, you'd probably wouldn't need a very powerful fan. Just as long as you have some airflow going in your case it's good. Without any airflow, the temps under load can hit 100C.