Crysis card + dx10.1

Hey guys, There are so many new games coming out soon, and I wanna play a few. So obviously I need a new video card. The 8800gt 512mb is promising, but nvidia has said nothing about being able to run dx10.1 on this card. I'm not really a fan of ATi cards solely because their drivers are a pain in the neck, but I want a card in the ~$300 range that can run Crysis with avg 60+fps and also support dx10.1 cos I dont want to get outdated even before I step out of the shop.

Thanks.
29 answers Last reply
More about crysis card dx10
  1. No it dosent do DX10.1 but the ati card does the 9 series will suport DX10.1 scheduled last i heard early 08 but dont quote me on that as these things are subject to change.
    The 8800gt will still work just wont run some of the DX10.1 stuff.
    Dont know how much you know about what to expect from DX10.1 here is a review toms did on the subject.
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/amd-hd-3800-dx-10,review-29720.html
    Mactronix
  2. there are quite a few improvement to dx10.1 . So the 8-series and 2900 are not going to run dx10.1 code, however Can nvidia or ati provide driver supplements to their current cards to handle dx10.1 instructions. A wrapper of some sort to mimic dx10.1 instructions on the dx10 hardware?
  3. cruiseoveride said:
    Hey guys, There are so many new games coming out soon, and I wanna play a few. So obviously I need a new video card. The 8800gt 512mb is promising, but nvidia has said nothing about being able to run dx10.1 on this card. I'm not really a fan of ATi cards solely because their drivers are a pain in the neck, but I want a card in the ~$300 range that can run Crysis with avg 60+fps and also support dx10.1 cos I dont want to get outdated even before I step out of the shop.

    Thanks.


    There's not a card in the ~300 dollar range that can run Crysis maxed out at even 40fps. In fact, there's no such card for any price. Get the 8800GT, it'll run Crysis fine with some settings dropped to high or medium, plus it's cheap as hell for the performance that you get. DX10.1 isn't going to add terribly much, and cards that support it, much less software that supports it, is still quite a ways off.
  4. if there is no such card? then what hardware do the EA people use during development? Seriously cos, If you designed something to run with a 100mhz cpu, you would need a 300mhz cpu to debug the code. So what the hell did the EA people use to build/debug/test crysis?
  5. cruiseoveride said:
    there are quite a few improvement to dx10.1 . So the 8-series and 2900 are not going to run dx10.1 code, however Can nvidia or ati provide driver supplements to their current cards to handle dx10.1 instructions. A wrapper of some sort to mimic dx10.1 instructions on the dx10 hardware?


    The new ATI cards will be able to run DX 10.1 that was the whole point of the review/preview i guess that i linked you too.
    here is a little bit about the acrd that was posted earlier.
    http://iax-tech.com/video/3870/38701.htm
    Mactronix
  6. Dude... ONLY 38xx series from ATI support 10.1 if you want to max out crysis and get 60+ fps not gonna happen with 300 bucks. E6600 and 8800GTX with 2GB of ram here. Crysis maxxed out on 1280x1024 with hacked very high settings. 20-45fps only
  7. i did read that, and it concludes that its even slower than the 8800gt. so its pointless, with its avg of 9fps on Crysis, its only good for screen shots
  8. well im still baffled at what would EA have used to debug/test crysis
  9. however, did y'all notice how the colours on crysis look better on the 3870. Check the posted link for the screenshots
  10. cruiseoveride said:
    i did read that, and it concludes that its even slower than the 8800gt. so its pointless, with its avg of 9fps on Crysis, its only good for screen shots


    Well then i guess that your not gonna get what your after with this generation of G/cards so you can either do what everybody else will have to do which is run it to the best of your systems capabilities or dont play it yet and see what the next gen of cards has to offer.
    The 3870 is the best DX10.1 card available at the min so if its not going to cut it then thats that. :)
    Mactronix
  11. cruiseoveride said:
    Hey guys, There are so many new games coming out soon, and I wanna play a few. So obviously I need a new video card. The 8800gt 512mb is promising, but nvidia has said nothing about being able to run dx10.1 on this card. I'm not really a fan of ATi cards solely because their drivers are a pain in the neck, but I want a card in the ~$300 range that can run Crysis with avg 60+fps and also support dx10.1 cos I dont want to get outdated even before I step out of the shop.

    Thanks.

    Next generation 9 series (or whatever it's called) = $300x2+ maybe
  12. cruiseoveride said:
    well im still baffled at what would EA have used to debug/test crysis


    I have posted a similar question regarding this and while it is clear that developers have acess to differant generations of cards before us mere mortals. How far in advance i dont know.
    I do recall seeing a post regarding a massive graphics block i think you would call it it was like 4 or 6 GTX cards all linked together but was an industry type thing so i guess if they can do that then they would get enough power to run Crysis.
    I mean we are getting into heavy speculation here but it could be that they thought the tec would be more advanced by now?
    Mactronix
  13. I think that people at EA use high end graphics workstation graphic cards to visualize and run Crysis
  14. i think if you could max out the gfx at 1024x768, and run with the 3870, you should have a good combo. especially for the sub $300 segment, descent performance and dx10.1 support.
    Launch is friday i think
  15. by the way do you think a regular 16x pci-e slot would make to much of a difference against pci-e 2.0 with these cards?
  16. jtnstnt said:
    I think that people at EA use high end graphics workstation graphic cards to visualize and run Crysis

    Check this one out, it may run crysis well.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133189
    Some people are claiming to play crysis with over 800 fps maxed out.


    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133213
    This ones ok too.
  17. Does it do dx10.1? I dont think so. Otherwise i would have paypal'ed it right away.
  18. cruiseoveride said:
    Hey guys, There are so many new games coming out soon, and I wanna play a few. So obviously I need a new video card. The 8800gt 512mb is promising, but nvidia has said nothing about being able to run dx10.1 on this card. I'm not really a fan of ATi cards solely because their drivers are a pain in the neck, but I want a card in the ~$300 range that can run Crysis with avg 60+fps and also support dx10.1 cos I dont want to get outdated even before I step out of the shop.

    Thanks.

    A mid range card that supports Direct X10.1 and can run Crysis with an average frame rate of 60+ won't likely exist until 2009. :whistle:
  19. cruiseoveride said:
    Does it do dx10.1? I dont think so. Otherwise i would have paypal'ed it right away.

    The second card does DX10 but DX10.1
    If you really want performance than I would go with one of those workstation cards, as they are extremely powerful.
    They are kind of an overkill. Plus DX10.1 is not important yet. It will be later but not now.
  20. cruiseoveride said:
    by the way do you think a regular 16x pci-e slot would make to much of a difference against pci-e 2.0 with these cards?


    No, cards currently can't even fill the bandwidth needed to saturate PCIE 1.0. Especially a mid-range card.

    As for how they render games such as crysis, they're obviously using dedicated graphics workstations, not regular personal computer components. All the debugging was done using 8800's. I think it's great that they made a game that's too tough for the best available components, it's one surefire way to kickstart the hardware manufacturers. The game runs great for me @1280X1024 with my Q6600@3.6, 4GB RAM, and OC'd 8800GTX, you just have to tweak some of the shaders and postprocessing settings down a notch.
  21. i will settle for 1024x768, i just cant stand slow fps.

    if the ati 3870 can perform on par with the 8800gt, which i've read it can, then i think im going for that. It will be my first ati card in 10yrs
  22. well both ATi and Nvidia pay Microsoft heavily for WHQL and Signing so obviously microsoft will say anything that sells either companies hardware.
  23. Here is a link to the white paper concerning what differances are in DX10.1 but rember its not 100% as a white paper is like a draft copy so some things could change but i recon its about 99% accurate.
    http://www.teamati.com/DirectX%2010_1%20White%20Paper%20v0.4.pdf
    Mactronix
  24. cruiseoveride said:
    there are quite a few improvement to dx10.1 . So the 8-series and 2900 are not going to run dx10.1 code, however Can nvidia or ati provide driver supplements to their current cards to handle dx10.1 instructions. A wrapper of some sort to mimic dx10.1 instructions on the dx10 hardware?
    They COULD use a wrapper, say for DX10.1, or even using a DX9 card for DX10. BUT, itd be sooo seriously flawed and slow it wouldnt be worth it
  25. Who cares about dx10.1? It'll probably be months before Dx10.2 in announced or something.

    PCI-E2 is irrelevant.

    Whats important for Crysis atm is getting the nvidia drivers up to scratch and Crytek fixing SLI/QuadCore support in their game, because both are broken..

    Apparantly they are releasing a patch next week.. sorry.. but getting fed up of everyone saying "omfg my £10000+ hardware cant run crysis ive been ripped off hey everyone else dont spend money omg!"

    It really is pathetic.. just wait a while.
  26. aznstriker92 said:
    Check this one out, it may run crysis well.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133189
    Some people are claiming to play crysis with over 800 fps maxed out.


    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133213
    This ones ok too.


    You actually quoted newegg reviews as fact? come on, you have to be a little smarter than that :non:
  27. 800fps lmao
  28. i know the 800fps is bs, but do workstation cards perform better than gaming cards on computer games?
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Crysis Graphics Product