nkarasch

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2007
I had my stock hsf with AS5 running at 3 ghz on my Q6600 G0 and it peaked at 61C. I changed to the TRUE with a 120mm antec fan on it and it peaked at high 60s at stock clock speeds! I went all the way up to 3.6ghz (1.51xx volts) and it was idling at about 52 and went up to 77. It is completely stable like that but I would worry about the life of the chip to much.

I removed it and reapplied thermal paste and reseated it and it is exactly the same, I know the paste is not the problem it is nice and thin. The cooler seems to be seated on the board very well, nice and tight.

What could be causing this? Could my TRUE be more concave than they are normally? I dont understand what could be going wrong. I am getting 10c difference at peak between 1.2xx and 1.5 volts. My stock cooler was better than how this is doing.

I have an Antec 900 with a fan pushing air in the back, a fan on the heatsink facing the same direction, and two more between their at the front of the case all 120mm. There is also a 200mm fan on top blowing straight up. Any help would be appreciated.

To me it seems like this think should cool a lot better than stock even without lapping.

I regret buying it, if anybody wants it for cheap let me know I have paypal :kaola:

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
Get to Lapping! So far I did all three of my quads and all is well, and cool! A go and b3 q6600 and an Phenom 9500. (Though it appears that AMD makes their processors more evenly flat than intel.) And I did both my arctic squares and my CM Sphere. Much better.

nkarasch

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2007
I dont really want to touch sandpaper to my cpu, the IHS is not removable is it?

The TRUE will get the treatment though. When lapping do you concentrate on removing the surface layer or do you concentrate on the outside to get rid of the concavity? Thats what I dont understand. If you just sand off the surface layer to reveal copper-colored metal it will still have its old shape right?

nkarasch

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2007
I looked at the guide, it is kinda vague if Im lookin at the right sticky.

What kind of glass do you use and how do you hook sandpaper to the glass? And how do you keep the heatsink level when you are going back and forth?

nkarasch

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2007
Hmm I have access to a whole machine shop maybe I could measure the lowest point from the highest point and mill it all down even with a CNC. I dont know how to clamp it though with those fins, hmm