curaga

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2007
Hi

I'm planning to do a new, powerful comp for me. I'm not a gamer.

And I will OC it :)

Pentium Dual Core E2160
Gigabyte GA-G33-DS3R
2x Transcend 1gb DDR2-800
Samsung P80SD 160GB SATA-II
A basic case with a 400W PSU

This would total 353.50 €, which is really nice and an awesome bang for the euro :D

Tell me what you think. Oh, and does the mobo have all the OC options in BIOS? I'm gonna be using Linux, so I won't use any M$ programs for that..

I think he wants to use the integrated video. The P35 overclocks better indeed but then he'd have to spend $50 or whatever on a video card.

Gigabyte mobos usually have fewer options for OC than, say, Asus boards. On the other hand, they make overclocking easier for newbies. With Asus you get more flexibility and can do more but you get lost in too many options if you don't know exactly what you're doing.

If you're looking for a low-cost case+PSU try something made by Antec. Very few PSUs that come with cases can be trusted, but Antec is OK, I think.

curaga

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2007
Yeah, I do want the integrated video. I first looked at the P35 but then saw the one with integrated graphics was only 5€ more expensive, so I'm saving money right there :)

For the bios OC options, are there the usual ones (voltages, fsb, ram speed)?

curaga

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2007
It's actually very strong, for an integrated one.

The X3100 (which has DX10 support BTW) has shown great performance, and this mobo has the second best model, 3100 :)

I'm currently using i830M, and my nes comp has i810. Their performance has been more than enough for me, so I think Intel's new ones will have me using Compiz Fusion in no time :D

curaga

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2007
" All DS3 motherboards come with a six-phase voltage regulator and comprehensive overclocking options." Says the article at Tom's about OC'ing the 2160..