Vista BSOD Issue, Can't Get to Safe Mode

hopfrog

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2008
Hello,

My computer flashed a Page_Fault_in_Nonpaged_Area error at me this morning and since then I have tried running system repair with the original Vista install disc to no avail, and i cannot even boot into Safe mode either. I have googled the error and it seems to be the STOP 0x00000050 error. Is the best option to run memtest on a bootable CD? For thos who have experience with it, is the problem usually hardware-related? This is on a homebuilt rig just a couple of years old, and I run the free Avast antivirus software on it - I have not installed any new hardware recently and the only new software would be daily antivirus updates. Could really use some advice. Thanks in advance.

Cory

exit2600x

Distinguished
May 31, 2011
According to info found on aumha.org:

0x00000050: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
Requested data was not in memory. An invalid system memory address was referenced. Defective memory (including main memory, L2 RAM cache, video RAM) or incompatible software (including remote control and antivirus software) might cause this Stop message, as may other hardware problems (e.g., incorrect SCSI termination or a flawed PCI card).

Typically I've only seen this error when there is bad memory in the computer and one rare occasion when it was a program. I would start with a memtest and see if it will pass to rule out a hardware problem.

hopfrog

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2008
Was out of town, but am now running memtest on each stick of RAM. So far, no errors found. In the event that my RAM checks out, where do I go from here? How many other components/functions can I check or repair if I cannot even get to Windows in Safe Mode?

hopfrog

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2008
Ok, now this just goes from bad to worse. I've been checking the RAM and it is still checking out fine, but now I've been having problems getting a signal to go to the monitor. Finally got a signal to the monitor, but now my computer is hanging on the motherboard splash screen - I can't even get past that. I am at my wit's end.

hopfrog

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2008
Sorry for all of the updates, but the condition keeps changing. I tried removing a stick of RAM and trying to boot, and now I can get past the motherboard splash screen at least. I am running memtest on the second stick now - don't know why I could not get past the motherboard splash screen with both sticks of RAM in.

exit2600x

Distinguished
May 31, 2011
Strange problems. Could be your processor's L2 cache (which can also throw ram errors). Do you have a known good processor to swap out and power on to test it? Could also be motherboard but the processor thing is easier to test.

hopfrog

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2008

Don't have an extra processor, unfortunately. The latest update is that I booted from the Vista install disc and the startup repair said it could not fix the problem from there, but I went to the command prompt and am running a chkdsk repair on the C drive - will update when it is finished.

hopfrog

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2008
Just an update - managed to get into command prompt from Vista install disc after it said that it could not repair the problem, whatever that problem is. Ran chkdsk C: /r and got this:

Windows has checked file system and found no problems

625128447 (KB) total disk space
478732964 in 282393 files
139956 in 43187 indexes
0 in bad sectors
429983 in use by system
65536 occupied by the log file
145825544 available on disk

4096 bytes in each allocation unit
156282111 total allocation units on disk
36456386 allocation units available on disk
Failed to transfer logged messages to the event log with status 50

So, I didn't get any indication that it found or corrected any errors. I have not restarted it as I am happy to be at the command prompt and am curious if I should use any of the other tools. Where should I go from here?

exit2600x

Distinguished
May 31, 2011
I think you have a hardware problem. Specifically with either the processor or the motherboard. The BSOD your getting is usually a memory problem. SO either its the way the motherboard is handling ram (especially if its doing random things) or the actual L2 cache on the processor. You can go to http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

burn that image to a CD.

boot up with it, and you can run PRIME95 under DOS. its under
motherboard tools --> CPU ---> prime test.

This will stress the cpu and tell you if the cpu is having problems. Other than that, its kind of a shot in the dark without having parts to change out and try.

Honestly I'm stumped

hopfrog

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2008
Ok, I went into Safe Mode and disabled automatic restart after crash, and when I got the BSOD, now I am getting this error:

STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}
The initial session process or system process was terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0x00000000 (0xc0000001 0x001004d8)
The system has been shut down.

I don't recall getting that previously.

If I try to boot Safe Mode, it hangs at crcdisk.sys, then restarts, runs for about 30 seconds, restarts, over and over. While it hangs on crcdisk.sys I can hear the HDD whirring, restarting, whirring, restarting.

exit2600x

Distinguished
May 31, 2011
After the manufacturers post screen, hit f8 to bring up the diagnostic menu. There should be an option to "last known good configuration" or something, try that to see if it will boot. If you dont have that option, hit boot normally, then hit f8 immediately again after that to get the full diagnostic menu and try "last known good configuration" again.