e6600 o/c temps

jamieb

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2007
Hi guys just need an educated answer on this as i'm still relatively new to overclocking. I have a e6600 running the stock hsf, it is rock solid at stock vcore at 3.06ghz/340fsb. Temps in both the latest versions of speedfan and core temp are 28 idle and 53 degrees at full load stress testing. Speedfan's reported cpu temp is 47. (Vcore 1.325)

Today i tried to reach 3.3ghz, and did so successfully with a vcore of 1.4125. Stress tested for 2 hours with no failure's. My temps in speedfan and core temp are now 32 degrees idle, 60 degrees full load. Speedfan says the cpu temp is 57 degrees. Is this ok or too high? I have read the core 2 duo temp guide but wanted to be sure before leaving my clock speed and vcore this high. As i mostly use my rig for gaming the processor is rarely at full load for any extended period. I am also unsure if i need to offset my temps in speedfan or not? Help and advice greatly appreciated.

raven_87

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
60C isnt threshold, but its a bit warm for my tastes. 2 hours isnt very long to be stress testing; If your going for something serious, its usually good to go 8 hours.

Remember the temp readouts your getting have a certain degree of being inaccurate.

edit; if you feel the temps are becoming unsuitable - its never a bad idea to invest in a new cooling unit.

jamieb

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2007
Thanks for your reply i have backed down to 3.1ghz for the time being, stable at a more reasonable 1.325vcore. After a 4 hour torture test temps are down at 55 degrees on the core's. I think a better cooler is the way forward.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
jamiebh, thanks for reading the Temp Guide. An Idle temperature of 32c Core at 1.4125 on the stock cooler is suspiciously cool. Also, your CPU Load temp and Core Load temps don't conform to the typical Tcase to Tjunction Delta of 15c for the E6600.

■Have you tried to calibrate your temperatures as shown in Section 8?
■What is your Ambient?
■Are you testing with Orthos or Prime95 using Small FFT's or Blend?

Let's get your information organized and into perspective so I can help you. Please complete your unknown Variables in the format shown below. From the Guide:

Section 1: Introduction

When listing Idle & Load test Results, it's also necessary to list the Variables as shown below:

Results

Tcase = Idle ??c & Load 57c
Tjunction = Idle 32c & Load, hottest Core 60c

Variables

Ambient = Room Temp ??c
Chipset = Model ???
C2Q / C2D = E6600
CPU Cooler = Stock
Frequency = 3.3Ghz
Load = Test Program ???
Motherboard = Model ???
Stepping = B2
Vcore = 1.4125

Thanks,

Comp :sol:

jamieb

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2007
Thanks again for your help, here are my more detailed specs as requested:

Results:

Tcase: Idle 26c Load 57c
Tjunction: Idle 32c Load 60c

Variables:

Ambient: 20c
Chipest: i975x
C2D: e6600
Cpu cooler: Stock
Frequency: 3.3ghz
Load Test Program: Orthos, small fft's
Motherboard: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Stepping: B2
Vcore: 1.4125

I have 2 120mm case fans to aid cooling and its all in a Coolermaster RC532 case.

Re: Calibrating temp and the delta between Tcase and Tjunction - the only program i have that tell's me Tcase is Speedfan, Core Temp just displays Tjunction. Is there a specific way to recalibrate Speedfan using the configure button? Sorry i'm still a little baffled with it, thanks.