Missing a partition

Just got done building a new system and everything went just fine. Except for one thing.

I seem to missing one partition of my 500G hard drive. I haven't finished formatting the other partitions yet, but I'm assuming the last partition (the remaining gigs) is the one I'm missing.

I did a 35 gig partitions for Vista and some apps.
another 20 gig ( I want to try out Linux ubuntu)
Then thee more equal sized partitions for other apps, games, and media files.

I only show a total of four partitions. I should have five. I'm guessing I did something wrong, but done this before with XP with no problems.

How I usually do it is load Windows on the first partition and then format the other partitions after windows is loaded from "my computer"

So, the question, is there a way to get this last partition back?
Do I have to reload Vista all over again, (not that big of a deal) and partition from the windows set up?

Would a partition utility recognize and the missing gigs?

Thanks in advance?
I'm such a noob! :D
5 answers Last reply
More about missing partition
  1. Just use vista partition manager to create another partition....

...i'm not too sure what you mean by the missing gigs. Are you actually not seeing part of the HD

I'm not too sure about the "missing" statement but vista comes with a watered down version of a partition manager. It should be able to help you out.
  2. bc4 said:
    Just use vista partition manager to create another partition....

Are you actually not seeing part of the HD

Yes, that's correct.

I should have one more partition with about 100 gig on it.
    It doesn't show up.

I should have had five partitions and only have four.
    After adding the gigs in the four formatted partitions I am shy somewhere around that 100gig mark. Allowing room for the space the actual partitions take of course.
  3. Good morning bump.
  4. bc4 said:
    Just use vista partition manager to create another partition....

All set!

I had to google to find out where the Vista partition Manager was hidden, but it found the missing gigs.

It showed the four partitions I made than 104 gigs as "not allocated". A couple clicks later, assigned the drive letters in order, formatted, and there it is!

Thanks!
  5. glad to help.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Partition Windows Vista Systems