MSI 865PE Neo2-PFISR BIOS reporting only 3GB of memory with 4GB instal

PhiloHippus

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2007
I just installed 4GB of memory in my MSI 865PE Neo2-PFISR mainboard and only 3GB (approximately 3144000KB) are reported present by the the BIOS.

The 4GB are distributed in 4 DDR400 1GB DIMMS, and all sticks are from the same brand/model. I previously had 1GB distributed as 4 256MB DIMMS so I am sure there is nothing wrong with any of the slots.

By alternating the DIMMS around the slots and making several tries with only 3 DIMMS connected, I have also determined that all 4 DIMMS are working properly.

The value in KB reported by the BIOS is exactly the same with either 4 or 3 DIMMS installed, however with 4 DIMMS installed BIOS correctly reports Dual Channel presence, so some level of the BIOS is in fact recognizing the 4 slots are in use.

From the gathered data I can only assume there is something deficient about the BIOS. My version of the BIOS is the latest available, 3.A (as reported by the boot screen) or 3.0A (as reported by the MSI live update). It dates back to 09/29/2004.

I would like to know how this problem can be resolved. The specifications for this board claim it supports 4GB of memory, so that is exactly what I expect it to support, nothing more, nothing less. 1GB is what had installed in my system up until today, so I am definitely not going to accept being deprived of that amount.

Any clues?

Cheers

PhiloHippus

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2007

Well yes, 32bit OS, but I'm aware of that limitation. I know only 3.1 to 3.5 Gigs of memory are reported by the OS depending on hardware memory reservation requirements, but regardless of that issue, the BIOS should recognize my 4GB, right now it's reading a flat 3.0GB, not 3.x.

G

I'm having the same issue, BIOS only reports 3 GB with 4x1GB of identical ram installed.

PhiloHippus, did you ever find a solution?

G

I should mentioned the motherboard is MSI 865PE Neo2-P amibios 3.A (latest accordingly to MSI website)

PhiloHippus

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2007
Nope, sorry, I gave up and set my computer with 2.5GB, 2x1GB + 2x256MB... it enables dual channel this way and gives me better performance than 3x1GB.
Still have 2 leftover fully functional 1GB DIMMS tucked away in the junk drawer... talk about frustrating.

keyboardologist

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011
I'm also having the same hardware configuration (4 x 1GB Kingston identical DIMMs) and the BIOS states 3GB although Win XP 32bit states 2,87gb. I know about 32bit OS limits (which actually is 4GB) and WinXP 32bit RAM limit (which is usually 3GB) but I'm hoping to install Kubuntu 32bit with 4GB RAM (mobo's spec limit). In XP, CPU-z reports 4GB RAM with dual channel, I will check linux and hope to get full 4GB cause unfortunately this mobo supports only 32bit CPUs!