Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
First I will tell you what I have:

E8400
Maximus extreme (bios 1001)
2gb DDR3-1600 platinum OCZ (7-6-6-20)
7800GTX
samsung 500GB HDD

To have my memory run at 1600, I had to set the FSB to 400. So my E8400 is running at 3.6GHz.
The voltage of the cpu I set to 1.25, and my memory voltage is on auto.

Now, when I run Prime95 I got an error after the 15th test (30min of testing). With memtest (visa enviroment) and
memtest86 I get an error almost immidiatly.

Before my platinum, I had a gold-ocz 1600. This gave also an error and I returned it, and got the platinum edition (they also tested my memory).
Now being my memory broken again, is it really the memory?

getting despirate,

If you need some more info please ask.

basketcase

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
I think it is safe to say that it is related to your memory. But, I am not probably qualified to say exactly what. My uneducated guess would be that you need to adjust the memory voltage (maybe add a little more) or loosen the timings a little.

What happens if you drop the FSB a little bit, to like 375 or 385? I know that you don't want to do that, but for test purposes.

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
When my memory through an error after 7 hours of testing (1 error) I was able to resolve it by relaxing my timings and my voltage. After words I was able to run 12+ hours without any errors. I used memtest86+. I would try relaxing your timings as much as possible and try again. Also with a 400Mhz FSB maybe try upping the voltage on your northbridge.

robertdv

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
I have set my mem-voltage at 1.9, and the NB to 1.45V Then I started my system, but my video-driver was gone (sound also). Restarted and pushed the latencies back to 8-7-7-21 and set the NB-V to "auto". (the I reinstalled the drivers) Now my memtest doesn't give an error in the first few seconds. but a few seconds later.

What's wrong???

robertdv

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
is it possible that I got "lucky" twice? I mean, to get broken ddr isn't fun (certainly not the second time)

And I think that my mem should work fine under 7-6-6-20, and that I shoudn't be forced to set it higher!

basketcase

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
Yes, it is entirely possible that both sets of ram are bad. But, I find that less likely than the problem being something else.

Out of curiosity, what kind of PSU do you have?

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
If your getting error's in memtest after a few seconds something is upset somewhere. It could range from a memory module, the memory socket, or possibly something pertaining to the cpu itself, but the latter is highly unlikely. Try running memtest with just one module in different slots, run the SAME EXACT test in another socket, and record where and when it fails. If there is a difference it could be a socket, if it's the same it's probably the module. But don't stop there, check the other module as well, It can get tedious but it could find out your problem. Also make sure everything else is pretty much near a fail-safe default state so that we only have the memory into consideration. And remember even 1 error is just as bad as a 1000 errors In memtest.

tommmm111

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2007
hi. i got a question, maybe someone knows it. my fsb goes to 360 only. ever heard of this? 'fsb wall' or ceiling should be at least 470, yeah? pls say, cuz i'm dumping my 6 month old p35 board. tia/ thanks in advanmce, tom L.

Mondoman

Splendid
tom, since your question is on a totally different topic than the OP's, please start your own new thread.

In that new thread, list the model number MB, CPU, power supply, cpu cooler, RAM, graphics card that you have, along with what the problem is, and what exactly you've tried.

Mondoman

Splendid
robert, you're jumping into this too fast. You can't figure out what's wrong without starting at the beginning. Start by running everything (CPU & RAM) at stock speeds, and do complete memtest86+ through at least a couple of complete passes without errors. Then, you can go from there.
You might consider getting some better quality RAM than that OCZ if you're going to OC. The RAM you got seems to have a manufacturer-sanctioned overclock spec of 1.9V, which is an 0.4V over-volt from the DDR-3 standard. OCZ tends to do these sorts of things, which leads to a lot of compatibility/problem issues with their RAM.

sr87dot62

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2005
i had a similar experience as well. This is what i did. I set the ram at stock voltage and timing (dont do auto, set the timing and voltage manually). the trick here was to position the ram right next to each other. slot 0 and 1. And that solved my problem.

basketcase

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006

I take it you have 4 memory slots? The way you have it set up, it is probably not running in dual channel mode, since you have memory in both sets of slots, instead of having your matching pair in the same set of slots. I can't say for sure, but I think your performance would be hinder quite a bit by not running the memory in Dual Channel mode.