untamedghost

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
Hello,

is it possible to move a RAID-0 from a nForce4 chipset to a nForce 780i? My Mothercard crashed on me. I have a DELL XPS 600! :(

if not, have any other suggestions??

thanks

UncleDave

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
I think this may tell you what you DON'T want to hear :- http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=368493.

Backup or image the current array then restore it on the new machine.

UD.

untamedghost

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
thank for posting.

The important thing is that I get some data of the drives, like documents, pictures etc.

I'm building a new PC with a 0+1 RAID setup (4x250GB disks), is it possible to install Windows on the new RAID 0+1 and then get data of the old RAID 0 by plugging the old disks in?

UncleDave

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007

I would say no - two different chipsets. If you are building a new PC why not just have both PCs running and copy everything from one to the other with a network cable? If there's not too much data make a back up then restore the backup on the new machine <--- you kill two birds with one stone this way too!

UD.

russki

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
The answer us it depends. You may get everything, you may get something, you may get nothing. All depends on how the metadata lays out. The probability that it's same is higher when it's the same manufacturer, but even then it's not guaranteed. Migrating between different manufacturers is significantly riskier and probably won't work at all.

Another reason not to use RAID0 on desktop...

Toms did a test once. They where able to migrate from Nvidia nForce3 to a Nvidia nForce 590 without issues, they did need to repair install windows.

I have gone Intel to Intel before without issues

Not once where they not able to just put the drives back in the other machine if it failed(then you have to look at an alternative way to get your data backed up them moved over). As long as you do not tell your board to repair the raid volume no change should happen to the drive.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/RAID-MIGRATION-ADVENTURE,1640-8.html

4745454b

Titan
I would say no - two different chipsets.

Correct, but not quite. The chipsets are different, but chipset manufacturers switched to a unified driver quite a long time ago. As has been mentioned, you should be able to plug them into the new computer, and it "should" boot. (as long as you were using the Nv raid, not an add on raid controller.)

I think the best advice so far is if this is a new computer, leave the drives in. the old one and copy over the network. You are 99% sure to get the data this way.

UncleDave

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007

I hope you're right, the forum that I quoted disagrees with you.

UD