Best quiet cooling for my old media center pc - athlon xp 2200+

virgil_disgr4ce

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2008
Hi all! I know it's an old-ass processor, but can anyone help me figure out what the quietest HS/F might be for an Athlon XP 2200+? I've had a hard time finding a good solution for Socket A/462, since it's tricky being sure about compatibility. The best I've found so far is the Zalman CNPS7000B-CU (http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16835118113), but it seems that it's not that quiet (maybe) and collects a lot of dust.

Anyway, I was just hoping someone might happen to have a recommendation for an old media center :) :) Thanks so much!

--Ted

virgil_disgr4ce

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2008
I actually don't have the stock cooler for it anymore, I had replaced it with a ThermalTake Volcano a long time ago, and that thing sounds like a hurricane. Ideally I'd replace it with something as close to silent as possible ... any ideas? Thanks for the reply!

Evilonigiri

Splendid
Jun 8, 2007

virgil_disgr4ce

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2008
Hi there :) thanks! ouch1, yes, that was the hsf I was looking at. evil, I actually have an earlier and larger version. Even when I turn the speed down it's still loud, and gives me a temperature of about 57º, argh. I think I'm going to go ahead and get the Zalman. It's an old proc, but this won't break the bank ^_^ Thanks guys!!

basketcase

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
A lower cost option you could try is just replacing the fan on your current HSF. New Egg has tons of different size fans, so it shouldn't be too hard to find a new one. The fact that yours is still loud when you turn down the rpms makes me think there is something wrong with it.

Also, you should try removing and re-applying some thermal compound to your heat sink. That could help in that you won't need the fan to spin so fast to keep the cpu cool.