Cornholio

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
Ok, here's my situation:
I have a genuine Windows XP Pro copy. I'm planning on formating my pc and reinstalling Windows using that old Windows XP copy. Here's the problem: I already installed it on another machine, but that machine broke down, and we destroyed the hard drive and threw it away.

If I install this Windows XP on my current, fully working machine, will it count it as non genuine? Will I be unable to get updates?
PC Specs:
Vista Home Premium SP1 (pre-installed on the machine)
AMD Athlon 64X2 4600+ @ 2.41 Ghz
GeForce 9800GT
2 gigs ram
250GB Hard disk

Thanks!

Solution
All you can do is try. If you get blocked when you go to activate it, you can use the MS phone support to activate it.

The reason they do that is because they don't want people buying a single license, and then installing it on 50 computers. A single license is only legally installed on one computer at a time.

Cornholio

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
Oh one more thing
We reinstalled windows with that disc about 4 times on my old computer, cause it kept crapping out
will i still be able to pass activation and recieve updates?

All you can do is try. If you get blocked when you go to activate it, you can use the MS phone support to activate it.

The reason they do that is because they don't want people buying a single license, and then installing it on 50 computers. A single license is only legally installed on one computer at a time.

Solution