adding 2n HD effects drive letters

I want to add a 2nd sata hd (200g) in xpsp2 w/ media center...... I have in
my system now one sata,dvdrw,dvdrom,card reader. My question is when i add
the 2nd HD what effect will it have on the drive letters that are already in
use? Will the letters change and if so, how will this effect
applications/programs that points to them now.

Lakkdon
8 answers Last reply
More about adding effects drive letters

    "lakkdon" <lakkdon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I want to add a 2nd sata hd (200g) in xpsp2 w/ media center...... I have in
    > my system now one sata,dvdrw,dvdrom,card reader. My question is when i add
    > the 2nd HD what effect will it have on the drive letters that are already
    > in
    > use? Will the letters change and if so, how will this effect
    > applications/programs that points to them now.
    >
    > Lakkdon

    Normally it will just take the next available drive letter. You can give it
    whatever letter you want through Drive Management.

    I want to make the 2nd drive as D: but this would change all the other
    letters one letterup (except C:) and confuse apps./programs/windows apps.
    that are already pointing to these letters. Example;when ripping in media
    player, it nows that the dvdrom is drive D: So if the 2nd drive takes D: and
    rom is moved to letter E: will it know that rom has moved to E:
    This is what i am affraid might happen not just in media player but other
    apps. as well. Will this be a probem.
    "D.Currie" wrote:

    > "lakkdon" <lakkdon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I want to add a 2nd sata hd (200g) in xpsp2 w/ media center...... I have in
    > > my system now one sata,dvdrw,dvdrom,card reader. My question is when i add
    > > the 2nd HD what effect will it have on the drive letters that are already
    > > in
    > > use? Will the letters change and if so, how will this effect
    > > applications/programs that points to them now.
    > >
    > > Lakkdon
    >
    > Normally it will just take the next available drive letter. You can give it
    > whatever letter you want through Drive Management.

    Not sure, but if you install as slave it will take d: (the next one to c:
    :); But then, I am not sure how SATA is treated - might not be slave but...
    S(erial) ATA. For ex., if you install in RAID0 you don't get a new drive
    letter at all since both RAID0 disks will be "seen" as one.
    Just plug it and see what youy get :)

    Michael
    "lakkdon" <lakkdon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I want to add a 2nd sata hd (200g) in xpsp2 w/ media center...... I have in
    > my system now one sata,dvdrw,dvdrom,card reader. My question is when i add
    > the 2nd HD what effect will it have on the drive letters that are already
    > in
    > use? Will the letters change and if so, how will this effect
    > applications/programs that points to them now.
    >
    > Lakkdon

    Well,
    if your apps are coded correctly, the CD and/or DVD drives should have
    relative addresses (%CDDrive%) or such; Xp reassigns drive letters for
    removable devices on every boot - or even hot. Of course, you might have
    other "drive emulation" settings in BIOS where a DVD drive might be
    installed as Floppy Drive, harddrive, forced drive. Needless to say, those
    BIOS settings do not always work as desired.
    My guess is that your CD/DVD drives will be identified correctly. Maker sure
    you install the new harddrive correctly in BIOS.
    Michael

    >I want to make the 2nd drive as D: but this would change all the other
    > letters one letterup (except C:) and confuse apps./programs/windows apps.
    > that are already pointing to these letters. Example;when ripping in media
    > player, it nows that the dvdrom is drive D: So if the 2nd drive takes D:
    > and
    > rom is moved to letter E: will it know that rom has moved to E:
    > This is what i am affraid might happen not just in media player but other
    > apps. as well. Will this be a probem.
    > "D.Currie" wrote:
    >

    >> "lakkdon" <lakkdon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I want to add a 2nd sata hd (200g) in xpsp2 w/ media center...... I have
    >> >in
    >> > my system now one sata,dvdrw,dvdrom,card reader. My question is when i
    >> > add
    >> > the 2nd HD what effect will it have on the drive letters that are
    >> > already
    >> > in
    >> > use? Will the letters change and if so, how will this effect
    >> > applications/programs that points to them now.
    >> >
    >> > Lakkdon
    >>
    >> Normally it will just take the next available drive letter. You can give
    >> it
    >> whatever letter you want through Drive Management.

    On a FAT32 system the new drive's primary partition will become drive D:.
    (The rule is primary partitions before extended.) To avoid this the whole
    drive would have to be set up as an extended partition.

    Don't know about NTFS but my guess is it would become D:

    In news:udcoHeXiFHA.3656@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    Jerry <NoSpamChiefZeke@MSN.com> typed:

    > On a FAT32 system the new drive's primary partition will become
    > drive
    > D:. (The rule is primary partitions before extended.) To avoid
    > this
    > the whole drive would have to be set up as an extended
    > partition.

    No, regardless of what file system you use, you can easily change
    the drive letter of any drive but C: in Computer Management |
    Disk Management.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    > Don't know about NTFS but my guess is it would become D:
    >
    > "lakkdon" <lakkdon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> I want to make the 2nd drive as D: but this would change all
    >> the
    >> other letters one letterup (except C:) and confuse
    >> apps./programs/windows apps. that are already pointing to
    >> these
    >> letters. Example;when ripping in media player, it nows that
    >> the
    >> dvdrom is drive D: So if the 2nd drive takes D: and
    >> rom is moved to letter E: will it know that rom has moved to
    >> E:
    >> This is what i am affraid might happen not just in media
    >> player but
    >> other apps. as well. Will this be a probem.
    >> "D.Currie" wrote:
    >>

    >>> "lakkdon" <lakkdon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    >>> message

    >>> Normally it will just take the next available drive letter.
    >>> You can
    >>> give it
    >>> whatever letter you want through Drive Management.

    This is exactly why I custom-name all my drives. My DVD drives are all V and
    my writable drives are W and back when I had a zip drive I named it Z. In
    the same manner, my shared server drive is S on all the computers that
    access it, and my media files are on a shared drive called M.

    Whether you plan will cause you any issues or not depends on whether or not
    your programs see the CD drive letters as a constant, or whether they are
    able to dynamically find the drive, no matter what letter you assign to it.

    If you want to name the new drive D, go ahead and do so, and see if your
    programs work the way you want. If you have problems, you then have the
    choice of either fixing the programs pointing to the CD or renaming the hard
    drive.

    If it was me, I'd do it the easy way and name the hard drive something else
    based on what I'd me storing there.

    "lakkdon" <lakkdon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I want to make the 2nd drive as D: but this would change all the other
    > letters one letterup (except C:) and confuse apps./programs/windows apps.
    > that are already pointing to these letters. Example;when ripping in media
    > player, it nows that the dvdrom is drive D: So if the 2nd drive takes D:
    > and
    > rom is moved to letter E: will it know that rom has moved to E:
    > This is what i am affraid might happen not just in media player but other
    > apps. as well. Will this be a probem.
    > "D.Currie" wrote:
    >

    >> "lakkdon" <lakkdon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I want to add a 2nd sata hd (200g) in xpsp2 w/ media center...... I have
    >> >in
    >> > my system now one sata,dvdrw,dvdrom,card reader. My question is when i
    >> > add
    >> > the 2nd HD what effect will it have on the drive letters that are
    >> > already
    >> > in
    >> > use? Will the letters change and if so, how will this effect
    >> > applications/programs that points to them now.
    >> >
    >> > Lakkdon
    >>
    >> Normally it will just take the next available drive letter. You can give
    >> it
    >> whatever letter you want through Drive Management.

    Well, i have decided that i will just let the 2nd HD take the next available
    letters after my other devices (primary C:, dvdrw D:, dvdrom E:, card reader
    f: thru I:) since i do plan on partitioning this drive based on what i will
    be saving which will be audio, pix, video stuff. Maybe assigning letters
    similar to what you have Currie.
    I'll let u guys now how things worsk out.
    Thanks

    "D.Currie" wrote:

    > This is exactly why I custom-name all my drives. My DVD drives are all V and
    > my writable drives are W and back when I had a zip drive I named it Z. In
    > the same manner, my shared server drive is S on all the computers that
    > access it, and my media files are on a shared drive called M.
    >
    > Whether you plan will cause you any issues or not depends on whether or not
    > your programs see the CD drive letters as a constant, or whether they are
    > able to dynamically find the drive, no matter what letter you assign to it.
    >
    > If you want to name the new drive D, go ahead and do so, and see if your
    > programs work the way you want. If you have problems, you then have the
    > choice of either fixing the programs pointing to the CD or renaming the hard
    > drive.
    >
    > If it was me, I'd do it the easy way and name the hard drive something else
    > based on what I'd me storing there.
    >
    > "lakkdon" <lakkdon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I want to make the 2nd drive as D: but this would change all the other
    > > letters one letterup (except C:) and confuse apps./programs/windows apps.
    > > that are already pointing to these letters. Example;when ripping in media
    > > player, it nows that the dvdrom is drive D: So if the 2nd drive takes D:
    > > and
    > > rom is moved to letter E: will it know that rom has moved to E:
    > > This is what i am affraid might happen not just in media player but other
    > > apps. as well. Will this be a probem.
    > > "D.Currie" wrote:
    > >

    > >> "lakkdon" <lakkdon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > >> Normally it will just take the next available drive letter. You can give
    > >> it
    > >> whatever letter you want through Drive Management.

SATA HD Windows XP