AMD: Barcelona to outperform Clovertown by 40%. WOW!!!

qurious69ss

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2006
This chip is gonna be a killer! When are the benchmarks coming?

"We expect across a wide variety of workloads for Barcelona to outperform Clovertown by 40 percent," Allen said. The quad-core chip also will outperform AMD's current dual-core Opterons on "floating point" mathematical calculations by a factor of 3.6 at the same clock rate, he said.

http://www.news.com/AMD-Go-to-Barcelona-over-Clovertown/2100-1006_3-6152645.html

SMU_Pony

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2006
You realize that article is from January, right? And also clearly wrong, based on current Barcy performance....

yomamafor1

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
and about 10 months later...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=kXVitkINDp0

Ooh my little pretty quad, pretty quad.
How you gonna overclock, Barcelona?
How you make my benches run, my benches run.
Got you folding home all night, my Barcelona
Never gonna stop, with the FUD
Such a dirty mo, leaders jumping ship cuz Ruiz
friggen bag o doo. fud fud fud fud fud woo~ B B B Barcelona....

Lyrics courtesy of members of "other' site :kaola:

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006

January 23, 2007 :sarcastic:

decripple

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006
I hope its true because then we can be glad that we'll have another core 2 Duo revolution in a year or two just like this current one

WazzaUK

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2007
I got 2 AMD pc's and one Core 2 Duo (so i aint biased)........ Only the second intel CPU ive ever bought..... These new intel cpu's put the AMD's to shame. Its wishful thinking that AMD is gonna pull a "core 2 Duo revolution" out from "Davey Jones Locker"... AMD got some catching up to do now, they need a serious development... Im not sure if they can deliver...

"Competition inspires innovation"

onestar

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2007
Belief is a step toward faith. (Fanboys have this)
Knowledge is built on facts. (Experience enhances this)
Numbers seldom lie (except in the hands of statisticians)
...and as yet, we have no numbers.

sailer

Splendid

Ah Zorg, don't you know that time honored quote, "Facts never lie, but liars can twist facts to say anything they want"? :pt1cable: I won't comment too deeply on the types of people in management at AMD, nor the people who believe them, though the latter may be accepted as as just being too trusting.

NightlySputnik

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006

That's just great! But everything is there, BARCELONA is just FUD until it's real. Especially when somebody use a 11 months old article to prove his point.

boduke

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
I think his point was that here we are 10 months later and Barcelona performs no where NEAR what AMD claimed it would....

T2bus

Distinguished
May 2, 2007
I gues INTERL fans are right...BARCY wasen't meant to be a benchdestroyer like Core HAPPENED to be...it simply was suposed to be better than what intel had at the time...Clearly they waren't prepared for this. But just look a little ahead. Whatever AMD got right on their CPU-s INTEL will COPY in there next arhitecture...Then again...they will have allot of time to learn from the mistakes in the BARCELONA line...NEHALEM will be better than BARCY and by then hopefully AMD will have something better than what they have now so we all can enjoy the price war and and great show they've put on for us. I just hope INTEL's IMC and HT work as well as they work on AMD.

SO>>>>GO GO GO AMD :pt1cable: