AMD: Barcelona to outperform Clovertown by 40%. WOW!!!

This chip is gonna be a killer! When are the benchmarks coming?

"We expect across a wide variety of workloads for Barcelona to outperform Clovertown by 40 percent," Allen said. The quad-core chip also will outperform AMD's current dual-core Opterons on "floating point" mathematical calculations by a factor of 3.6 at the same clock rate, he said.

http://www.news.com/AMD-Go-to-Barcelona-over-Clovertown/2100-1006_3-6152645.html
88 answers Last reply
More about barcelona outperform clovertown
  1. uhhhhh this just an article until i see trusted site benchies i refuse to believe
  2. You realize that article is from January, right? And also clearly wrong, based on current Barcy performance....
  3. and about 10 months later...

    http://youtube.com/watch?v=kXVitkINDp0

    Ooh my little pretty quad, pretty quad.
    How you gonna overclock, Barcelona?
    How you make my benches run, my benches run.
    Got you folding home all night, my Barcelona
    Never gonna stop, with the FUD
    Such a dirty mo, leaders jumping ship cuz Ruiz
    friggen bag o doo. fud fud fud fud fud woo~ B B B Barcelona....

    Lyrics courtesy of members of "other' site :kaola:
  4. lol whoever made those lyrics is genius!
  5. That maybe one of the coolest songs eva
  6. 4% i'd believe. 40%, not likely.
    :)
  7. qurious69ss said:
    This chip is gonna be a killer! When are the benchmarks coming?

    "We expect across a wide variety of workloads for Barcelona to outperform Clovertown by 40 percent," Allen said. The quad-core chip also will outperform AMD's current dual-core Opterons on "floating point" mathematical calculations by a factor of 3.6 at the same clock rate, he said.

    http://www.news.com/AMD-Go-to-Barcelona-over-Clovertown/2100-1006_3-6152645.html

    January 23, 2007 :sarcastic:
  8. ahhh... come on guys... they were almost correct, they just forgot to put the "-" sign infront of 40%. :lol:
  9. I hope its true because then we can be glad that we'll have another core 2 Duo revolution in a year or two just like this current one
  10. I got 2 AMD pc's and one Core 2 Duo (so i aint biased)........ Only the second intel CPU ive ever bought..... These new intel cpu's put the AMD's to shame. Its wishful thinking that AMD is gonna pull a "core 2 Duo revolution" out from "Davey Jones Locker"... AMD got some catching up to do now, they need a serious development... Im not sure if they can deliver...

    "Competition inspires innovation"
  11. Belief is a step toward faith. (Fanboys have this)
    Knowledge is built on facts. (Experience enhances this)
    Numbers seldom lie (except in the hands of statisticians)
    ...and as yet, we have no numbers.
  12. This was a really exciting thread until all you guys ruined it with facts. Unfortunately that started on post three. :lol:
  13. Zorg said:
    This was a really exciting thread until all you guys ruined it with facts. Unfortunately that started on post three. :lol:


    Ah Zorg, don't you know that time honored quote, "Facts never lie, but liars can twist facts to say anything they want"? :pt1cable: I won't comment too deeply on the types of people in management at AMD, nor the people who believe them, though the latter may be accepted as as just being too trusting.
  14. Published: January 23, 2007, 2:02 PM PST
  15. Yawn......
  16. yomamafor1 said:
    and about 10 months later...

    http://youtube.com/watch?v=kXVitkINDp0

    Ooh my little pretty quad, pretty quad.
    How you gonna overclock, Barcelona?
    How you make my benches run, my benches run.
    Got you folding home all night, my Barcelona
    Never gonna stop, with the FUD
    Such a dirty mo, leaders jumping ship cuz Ruiz
    friggen bag o doo. fud fud fud fud fud woo~ B B B Barcelona....

    Lyrics courtesy of members of "other' site :kaola:


    That's just great! But everything is there, BARCELONA is just FUD until it's real. Especially when somebody use a 11 months old article to prove his point.
  17. You mean there was a point?
  18. Back to the future. Nice try but wrong time. Its november already... hey!
  19. I think his point was that here we are 10 months later and Barcelona performs no where NEAR what AMD claimed it would....
  20. Give me benchies or give me death!

    Nahhhh, skip the death...Jack Danials will do just fine.
  21. I gues INTERL fans are right...BARCY wasen't meant to be a benchdestroyer like Core HAPPENED to be...it simply was suposed to be better than what intel had at the time...Clearly they waren't prepared for this. But just look a little ahead. Whatever AMD got right on their CPU-s INTEL will COPY in there next arhitecture...Then again...they will have allot of time to learn from the mistakes in the BARCELONA line...NEHALEM will be better than BARCY and by then hopefully AMD will have something better than what they have now so we all can enjoy the price war and and great show they've put on for us. I just hope INTEL's IMC and HT work as well as they work on AMD.

    SO>>>>GO GO GO AMD :pt1cable:
  22. Who's got a free crack coupon! I'm gonna go use it!
  23. I had a motherboard crack for free, once.
  24. Let's hope that the prophecy is true.

    I think we must ask morpheus!
  25. Morpheus is an intel fanboy.
  26. boduke said:
    I think his point was that here we are 10 months later and Barcelona performs no where NEAR what AMD claimed it would....


    Sure, Barcelona performs just fine. All you have to do is use an imaginary 3 ghz Barcy, make an imaginary graph, and speculate using imaginary numbers to fill in the graph. Isn't that what AMD did many months ago?
  27. sailer said:
    Sure, Barcelona performs just fine. All you have to do is use an imaginary 3 ghz Barcy, make an imaginary graph, and speculate using imaginary numbers to fill in the graph. Isn't that what AMD did many months ago?



    HEY... it wasnt imaginary.....it was "simulated", and the graphs were based on its "estimated" performance, not imaginary. Get your facts straight.
  28. Ah, you caught me. There I go using imaginary instead of the real estimated and simulated terms. :ouch: Guess I can't be trusted either. Guess its time for me to go back to the corner and face the wall for a time out. :pfff:
  29. turpit said:
    HEY... it wasnt imaginary.....it was "simulated", and the graphs were based on its "estimated" performance, not imaginary.
    It would appear their simulator could use some further refinement. :lol:
  30. I simulated a flux capacitor and simulated a time travel to 1955!
  31. Speaking of flux, the OP must have been subjected to high levels of bogon flux between the time between reading the article and posting here.

    Or like that one season of Dallas: "It was only a dream."
  32. Some people live their dreams, others live to dream. AMD was dreaming with those 40% "estimates".
  33. jsc said:
    Speaking of flux, the OP must have been subjected to high levels of bogon flux between the time between reading the article and posting here.

    Or like that one season of Dallas: "It was only a dream."


    Just making sure we don't forget about all these claims of "40% advantage across the board" "true multicore will be the real deal" "it will be a killer chip" and all those bogus simulated graphs and power point presentations from a company who is suppose to be protecting us from the evil...
  34. qurious69ss said:
    Just making sure we don't forget about all these claims of "40% advantage across the board" "true multicore will be the real deal" "it will be a killer chip" and all those bogus simulated graphs and power point presentations from a company who is suppose to be protecting us from the evil...



    Yeah, yeah. Whatever.

    Just check the date of the article next time.
  35. qurious69ss said:
    This chip is gonna be a killer! When are the benchmarks coming?

    "We expect across a wide variety of workloads for Barcelona to outperform Clovertown by 40 percent," Allen said. The quad-core chip also will outperform AMD's current dual-core Opterons on "floating point" mathematical calculations by a factor of 3.6 at the same clock rate, he said.

    http://www.news.com/AMD-Go-to-Barcelona-over-Clovertown/2100-1006_3-6152645.html
    qurious69ss said:
    Just making sure we don't forget about all these claims of "40% advantage across the board" "true multicore will be the real deal" "it will be a killer chip" and all those bogus simulated graphs and power point presentations from a company who is suppose to be protecting us from the evil...
    Oh I get it now, you are a TROLL.

    Troll (Internet) - Wikipedia
    Quote:
    An Internet troll, or simply troll in Internet slang, is someone who intentionally posts controversial or contrary messages in an on-line community such as an on-line discussion forum or group with the intention of baiting users into an argumentative response.


    Edited to add the opening post.
  36. Well, it beats my 3700, and my thunderbird, so I'm happy even if it loses to Core2 by 40% like it is so far :lol:
  37. qurious69ss said:
    This chip is gonna be a killer! When are the benchmarks coming?

    "We expect across a wide variety of workloads for Barcelona to outperform Clovertown by 40 percent," Allen said. The quad-core chip also will outperform AMD's current dual-core Opterons on "floating point" mathematical calculations by a factor of 3.6 at the same clock rate, he said.

    http://www.news.com/AMD-Go-to-Barcelona-over-Clovertown/2100-1006_3-6152645.html



    dude are you serious??? HA HA yeah right
  38. sailer said:
    Ah, you caught me. There I go using imaginary instead of the real estimated and simulated terms. :ouch: Guess I can't be trusted either. Guess its time for me to go back to the corner and face the wall for a time out. :pfff:



    ;)
  39. Too much talk and no action is getting to a lot of people.....even to faithful AMD fans.
    Bring it already...........good things come to those who wait?
    Don't AMD think we've waited long enough?
    Or is it just a saying because the goods arent ready to be delivered?
  40. can we just get over with that until AMD doesnt release a nice chip intel will be the king
  41. Same as K8 vs Netburst. Netburst lasted ages with K8 as king before Core 2 came out. Only difference is Intel could afford it.
  42. onestar said:
    Morpheus is an intel fanboy.



    so that's why he want to destroy the green matrix code colorized by AMD.
    I can't imagine if the color of the matrix turns into blue :cry: :cry: :cry: ! hehe
  43. Just 1 thing to say...

    SMU_Pony said:
    You realize that article is from January, right? And also clearly wrong, based on current Barcy performance....


    HAHAHA OMG it hurts!
    No wait, stop please!
    OMG Hahahahahaha!
    My sides OMG stop!
    HAHAHAHAHA.

    That was side spliting funny. Someone posts old FUD(likely linked in this forum in January too) and didn't even look at the date! The FIRST thing I always look at was the publish date. Lemme dig up that article from 2000 when Intel was spanking ass! I know Intel's future is bright!
  44. Only fanboys get a timeout. Honest mistakes we can live with.

    Trolls.....we can not.
  45. Zorg said:
    Oh I get it now, you are a TROLL.

    Troll (Internet) - Wikipedia
    Quote:
    An Internet troll, or simply troll in Internet slang, is someone who intentionally posts controversial or contrary messages in an on-line community such as an on-line discussion forum or group with the intention of baiting users into an argumentative response.



    I think this says it all. Really should get articles that are new, not almost a year old!
  46. onestar said:
    Only fanboys get a timeout. Honest mistakes we can live with.

    Trolls.....we can not.


    Returns from the corner. The cat was telling me he was hungery anyway.

    Was looking at another thread about AMD's NDAs. Wonder if NDA means "Not Distributed Anymore". And I say this while being an AMD user for the past 7 years. I can only say there's been one really worthwhile AMD CPU since the FX60, and that's the AM2 5000+ Black Edition. At least that's my opinion. I really do hope the Phenom delivers both on performance and being available in the stores, its just that the last year has shaken my hopes when it comes to AMD.
  47. Don't make fun of AMD lying on this forum, 'cuz this is the home of Baron Matrix. He is to AMD what Ronald McDonald is too McDonalds.
    Would you go into McDonalds and spout off to the Fry Guy's that Burger King's Whoppers are flame broiled for nummy goodness??? Sick damn people in this world. Go get him Baron!!!!
  48. BURNT!!!
  49. I think the words that have been omitted in describing the preliminary performance of Barcelona are:

    • Extrapolated
    • Ideal

    Estimated and simulated are also good words, they just needed to be supplemented.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Chip World Of Warcraft AMD Product