Sign in with
Your question

p5kc intel chipset driver problem

Last response: in Motherboards
November 25, 2007 3:14:22 PM

Unable to Install Intel Chipset driver on windows XP. i have a Asus P5kc motherboard, the driver loads fine upto certain extent as the hardrive is active for some time but then thers no activity and i get no confirmation. i tried latest release from Asus website and on several fresh install of XP with SP2 with minimal hardware (no USB devices except USB mouse) still the driver fails to install, have to force exit manually. after this i run the asus installer again it shows the driver has been installed under the current version.

installing the INF driver directly (without asus installer) has the same outcome.

please help!

sys spec
Intel Core2 duo e6750 2.66ghz
Asus p5kc p35 chipset
2gb DDR2 800mhz transcend memory
Geforce 8600GTS 256mb PCIe evga graphics
Coolermaster Extreme rp-500-pcar PSU
SATA 320gb Seagate 16mb cache barracuda harddrive
Sony DVD rw SATA
November 25, 2007 10:41:10 PM

Does it show up in Device Manager? If so, are there any yellow !? If it's in Device manager and there are no conflicts, you should be OK.
November 26, 2007 6:59:33 AM

yes i can see them in the device manager without yellows! but isnt the installer suppose to confirm it?, this makes me feel thers something wrong with the hardware. apart from that there is no conflict as such, the board performs normally even under memory/graphics intensive gaming though the temepratures go beyond 52degrees celcius very often. iam really getting worried after such carefull installation of hardware/software things are not running quite as expected.

btw thanks for your reply
Related resources
November 26, 2007 8:07:30 AM

Guess you r trying to install the raid driver? This MB is using the ICH9, which does not support raid...............
November 26, 2007 9:35:19 AM

vivek said:
yes i can see them in the device manager without yellows! but isnt the installer suppose to confirm it?,

Not necessarily, if you see the CMD window with the various chipset numbers scroll by during install, then that window just closes with no further activity, then the driver(s) have been installed. Just do a reboot afterwards. My P5K does the same thing with the latest .inf utility.
November 27, 2007 2:33:32 PM

Quote:
BustedSony,
if you see the CMD window with the various chipset numbers scroll by during install, then that window just closes with no further activity,

I Dont understand what you are refering to..."CMD window with the various chipset numbers scroll by",
there is just one interface window to select required drivers (INF & LAN) with the version details, during the installation a File/Folder animation is played (indicating the transfer process), at the bottom we have 2 tabs for terminating the process (cancel & pause), so the animation keeps playing and the tabs dont change to Finish/Exit which means the installation still not completed, i manually choose "cancel" to end the process, then i get a popup warning "There are uninstalled items, are you sure to cancel?"....have atached the screenshots for more clarity on the issue
http://www.flickr.com/photos/17340076@N06

i feel this could be due to a fault in the hardware moreover i dont see anybody else complaining about the installation package.

anybody know how this can be resolved? & thanks for all your replies, really appriciate it.
December 27, 2007 10:51:54 AM

the problem is the asus chipset driver installation takes long time to complete (around 10mins) during which the system goes back to idle state or appears to be so (no hdd reading or any other warning message which would indicate the process) and after several minutes the installation resumes and restarts the system automatically. i guess "BustedSony" was trying to tell the same...srry for such a ignorant reply from my end.
And i always used to shutdown/restart the system without giving it sufficient time as i have never experienced any driver taking so long by which time a full OS could be loaded.

thank you all for your patience & time taken to post/read this thread
!