Mapped Drive Oddity

Tags:
  • Workstations
  • Servers
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
March 31, 2010 4:25:58 PM

Here is my puzzle:

An XP Pro SP3 workstation has a mapped drive (f:)  which the workstation does not currently acknowledge as a mapped drive. If I issue a net use command the list reports 2 other properly networked drives, but not the F: drive. However, the F: is available in My Computer and is accessable. The user can run the server based app and make changes all day, but the next day all her changes are gone. To test, from her computer I created a new folder on the f: drive (\\server\apps)and copied files into this new folder on the server. No other networked user can see the new folder. Then when I reboot her computer, the new folder is gone on her mapped drive. All other users are using the same mapped drive without issue.

Does Windows cache mapped drive activity? I can not recreate the mapped drive because Windows doesn't acknowledge that it exists, but also reports that F: is not available. I can remap the connect using an alternate drive letter and it works properly. Is there a way to reset whatever part of Windows controls drive mapping?

More about : mapped drive oddity

April 1, 2010 8:57:37 PM

I think the only way it would cache network files is if the "offline files" option is selected.

Does the mapped drive work correctly if it is mapped to another letter?

If you log in with another user account with the same privileges, does the same thing occur?

Have you tried deleting the computer account, and creating a new one? Sometimes user profiles settings on a network could be the cause.
m
l
April 2, 2010 2:49:51 AM

Yes, it works properly if the same connection is mapped to another available drive letter. This is my current workaround for the problem.

I like your idea of another user account. I will create a new account the first of the week and see what happens.

Thanks for the idea!
m
l
April 9, 2010 3:23:32 AM

It doesn't seem to be an issue with permissions because if I map the same share to another drive letter other than F:, it will work properly.

This has got me so intrigued that I put a new workstation in for the user and
I've set the problemed computer up in another room so I can try and follow thru on a solution. It acts for all the world like the drive is caching.

Strange...very strange.
m
l