welliam

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
Hello,
I used to have my pc running every thing specially games with good speed but recently the speed degrades alot I tried to add more ram but nothing changed I reinstall new fresh windows xp but this also did not work

Games like Company of heroes - Command and conquer is hanging in every move and games like unreal III and Mas effect cause my pc to power off after 2-6 min of playing !!

Applications are running normal (I think) although sometime when I move from page to page on FireFox my pc hang for seconds

I install 3 different version of windows with drivers and all the has the same problem

So I suspect of 3 Hardware Parts of my pc:
- My new H.D 500 GB W.D is slow !!! although it has 16 mb cach
- My gpu is going to die (nVidia 6600 256 DDRII)
- My new power supply is defective (Hec Ace Power 480W)

I dont know which is true here is my complete pc config:

-Intel P4 3ghz
- Mother gigabyte 945 PL
-1 GB DDRII RAM
- nvidia 6600 256 vga
- 2 Sata HD (500 + 250 W.D)

feel free to ask me about any more info and sorry I dont know if this is the right place for my problem

waiting for reply,
Thanks

monsta

Splendid
If you say that it was running fine before than something has slowed it down, try these steps and see how you go.
Open the case and check to see if there is dust in the cpu heatsink and also check your 6600 if it needs a good clean, this can cause alot of performance issues.
Also have you added alot of other software that might be chewing into your memory?
Check how many processes you are running in the task manager, and remove any software that doesnt need to be loaded at start up.

Hope this helps

zipz0p

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2008
I don't think the software should be causing your computer to power off. That would have to be an issue with the CPU, RAM, MoBo or PSU...

If you are overclocking at all, try to clock back to stock and see if the problem persists.

If you suspect your HDD, listen to it - all the HDDs I've ever had problems with sounded terrible for a while before dying.

I highly doubt it's your HDD if you are having framerate and freezing issues in game. Everything should be coming out of system memory at that point, so the hard drive should have no impact on performance. I would check for dust in your heatsinks. Also, Company of Heroes is a fairly demanding game, and if you have the settings cranked, it could simply be that your system can't handle it at full settings. UT3 is pretty demanding for that system too. It should play all of them, but the settings will probably have to be turned down.

As for the shutting down though, it sounds like a heat issue to me.

welliam

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
first thanks alot for your concern I made today more steps to find out what is the problem and I came out with two possibilities

- my cpu is so hot
- my gpu is hot and going to day soon

I take off my gpu spray a little with some perfume and get it back on then I replaced my cpu fan with another one after first boot nothing changed still every thing slow but after my second boot my pc was faster !!!

It is my 4 reboot now and I run company of heroes and played weith good speed (with low config of course)

also I played now Mass Effect (with every thing low) with good speed and without my pc to knock out (it did not power off)

my cpu temp after playing is 68~70 but mostly 68 C , is this dangerous or normal ?

Thanks alot