Mitsubishi or Toshiba or Samsung DLP ?

Last response: in Home Theatre
a b Ô Samsung
May 3, 2005 8:19:42 AM

I am looking to buy my first HDTV and I'm torn between the Toshiba 62HMX94
and the Mitsubishi 62X25 series(most likely 62525) . My concern with the
Toshiba is that I won't be able to use it with my computer (instructions say
it's not intended for this use). My concern with the Mitsubishi is that many
people report a bright spot in the center of the screen and Mitsubishi won't
fix it.

Cnet.com is in love with Samsung DLP's, but consensus seems to be that on
the high end Mitsubishi and Toshiba are the best. Should I reconsider
Samsung (or any other manufacturer for that matter)?

Can anyone advise?

And it seems you can get a pretty good 42" plasma for the price of a 62"
DLP. Am I crazy to go with a DLP over plasma??

Thank you in advance!
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
May 3, 2005 11:35:49 PM

I'm in Canada so can't comment on mits, I have the 62hmx84, no cable card,
not a priority up here, we're behind in technology by or 2 years, I love
the set, nothing wrong with it for me, I upgraded from a rear projection 64"
pionner

Every store I went to the sammys had an inferior picture, I think they are
still using the hd3 chip, others are using the better hd2+

up to you if you want to go smaller plasma, read up on the technology,
personally I feel 50" is too small, but its all what you are used to

"Roy N." <roy@netraction-nospam.com> wrote in message
>I am looking to buy my first HDTV and I'm torn between the Toshiba 62HMX94
> and the Mitsubishi 62X25 series(most likely 62525) . My concern with the
> Toshiba is that I won't be able to use it with my computer (instructions
> say
> it's not intended for this use). My concern with the Mitsubishi is that
> many
> people report a bright spot in the center of the screen and Mitsubishi
> won't
> fix it.
>
> Cnet.com is in love with Samsung DLP's, but consensus seems to be that on
> the high end Mitsubishi and Toshiba are the best. Should I reconsider
> Samsung (or any other manufacturer for that matter)?
>
> Can anyone advise?
>
> And it seems you can get a pretty good 42" plasma for the price of a 62"
> DLP. Am I crazy to go with a DLP over plasma??
>
> Thank you in advance!

Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
May 4, 2005 1:08:50 AM

My opinion:

The Mitsubishi has the best picture of these three, I went through the same
decision back around Christmas and it's the set I bought. That said I was
quite unhappy with Mitsubishi and my retailers response to a common problem
that my set had - a very bad "warp" in the lower right hand corner. This
problem got a lot of press on AVS forum so I was far from the only one with
it. It took me doing a LOT of complaining up the food chain at the retailer
(HHGregg - stay away from them on big ticket items!) to finally get the set
replaced and when I did I stipulated that I wanted the set unboxed and
tested by me in the store before I would accept it. This finally happened
and I'm VERY happy with the one I now have - I have personally never seen
the bright spot issue or rainbows so I can't comment on either.

I would rank the Toshiba as last in picture quality as I could see digital
noise and artifacts particularly on the corners and edges during sports
programs, the Sammy was very close to the Mits but didn't seem to handle SD
content as well as the Mits and also seemed to lack a little bit on
contrast. No matter what you do though I would strongly suggest that you
make sure you view all three with DVD, SD, and HD content - while you're
doing this make sure YOU change the display settings on each one and see
what pleases you the most, that's what really matters.

Best of luck whatever choice you make!

bobukcat

P.S. 42" Plasma instead of 62" DLP - unless you have a REALLY small room or
absolutely have to hang it on the wall I would recommend the bigger DLP all
day long. I thought for sure that the 62" set was too much for our room but
now it doesn't even seem that big, 42" would seem paltry.

"Roy N." <roy@netraction-nospam.com> wrote in message
> I am looking to buy my first HDTV and I'm torn between the Toshiba 62HMX94
> and the Mitsubishi 62X25 series(most likely 62525) . My concern with the
> Toshiba is that I won't be able to use it with my computer (instructions
say
> it's not intended for this use). My concern with the Mitsubishi is that
many
> people report a bright spot in the center of the screen and Mitsubishi
won't
> fix it.
>
> Cnet.com is in love with Samsung DLP's, but consensus seems to be that on
> the high end Mitsubishi and Toshiba are the best. Should I reconsider
> Samsung (or any other manufacturer for that matter)?
>
> Can anyone advise?
>
> And it seems you can get a pretty good 42" plasma for the price of a 62"
> DLP. Am I crazy to go with a DLP over plasma??
>
> Thank you in advance!

Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
May 4, 2005 9:58:43 AM

As far as serviceability and reliability the Mits and Toshiba are preferred.
As far as neuvo invention applications the Samsungs are attempting to break
the molds. The Mits will probably cost a few quid more but in the long run
be much more pleasurable for your entertainment. Sony or Toshiba would
probably be my second choice then maybe even the Hitachi. Your funds, mate,
make a choice as a result of your in depth quest and enjoy the results.

!