Sign in with
Your question

Installing OS on a seperate partitions just for OS not main drive

Last response: in Storage
June 27, 2008 5:00:17 AM

On my new computer I would like to install vista on a seperate partition instead of local disk C. Is this possible?
Also, can I install multiple OS on one partition? Also, when I have to reinstall my OS, will it just erase the Data on the partition or will it erase the whole HD? And will it erase the other OS if I dual boot?

Finally, when I format a partition, will my whole drive be erased or just the certain partition?
Thanks for your help!
June 27, 2008 5:17:48 AM

no to second question.
you must install os on C:3rd question. partition.
4th: certain partition.

i know because i partition and reinstall a lot.
June 27, 2008 5:21:38 AM

So, My OS can only be installed on local disk C and it cannot be installed on a seperate partition? I dont want to install on c: because if I have to reinstall, my games and media will be wiped.

ORRRR.... do i install just my OS on c: and make another partition and store my data there and use that as my main partition?
Related resources
June 27, 2008 6:14:56 AM

I dual boot XP and Vista. You cannot install Vista on anything except a primary partition. I have 5 hard drives, XP on one Vista on another. Whether I am in Vista or XP the partition that OS is installed on is the C drive even though it may be the F drive while booted to the other OS.
June 27, 2008 6:28:08 AM

You can make another partition and install vista there. Still, Vista will see it's primary as C: Don't reinstall if you don't want to if you don't need to.
June 27, 2008 6:42:28 AM

I personally could not get Vista to install on the same physical drive as XP even if it was on another partition.
!