Sign in with
Your question

CPU cooler air flow

Last response: in Systems
November 3, 2007 2:47:06 PM

I'm building/upgrading a system for someone and wondering what the best way to point the cpu cooler was?
The cooler is a Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro.
As I'm building in an existing case which has no case fan slots, front or back, am I best to point the airflow at the PSU?
The PSU has a 120mm fan which draws air out of the case which blows out of a grill at the back of the PSU.

Are there any potential problems from doing this?

nb. I'm aware that I may have to mod the case to add a fan, but only if i really have to. :) 

More about : cpu cooler air flow

a b B Homebuilt system
November 3, 2007 3:30:27 PM

You would be best served by putting in a rear exhaust case fan. 120mm if it will fit, and point the freezer 7 fan at it. Case modding can be time consuming, but it will be worth it in this case.
November 3, 2007 4:17:06 PM

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, you're probably right. I'll built and install, then run something like Everest to monitor the tempertures.
The case wont take a 120mm but I should be able to stick in a couple of 80mm fans, if necessary.
Related resources
November 15, 2007 4:08:33 PM

Updated
I finally got the system built and it ran nice and cool til I tried making the PC work hard with a test DVD encode. Tempertures were fine for system and CPU but the PWM sensor went sky high, which caused a shutdown.
One 80mm fitted to the back of the case solved the problem :) 
November 15, 2007 4:20:41 PM

Nicely done McPhisto. :-)
November 16, 2007 7:56:35 AM

I know it's hardly rocket science but that was the first time I've had to alter a case to add a fan and with it not being my own case, I was nervous that I might make a mess of it. Fortunately it all worked out and next time I'll have no worries.
!