Can't read slave drive

jonm01

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
I've just bought a new PC and wanted to install a couple of slave drives from my old machine in it. One was a SATA drive which is now installed but the other was a 200gb IDE and there aren't any IDE channels on the new PC (apart from floppy) and no old style molex connectors anyway.

So instead i thought I'd put the drive in another old PC and plug a USB HD into that to get the data I want from it. But.....the drive is recognised but shows as 195gb of unallocated space and has no drive letter. So I can't get at any of the data I want. I can't access the assign drive letter options or anything.

I think part of the problem is the old PC got a rootkit virus that wrote data to the MBR's of all physical drives and this has corrupted the partition info. I've put the drive back in the old machine and it is the same there.

Is there any way I can fix this?

Ryun

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2006
Did you make sure to move the jumper on the IDE drive from master to slave when you plug it into the old PC?

Restart your computer with the Windows XP Setup disk in the CDROM drive.
If you are prompted to press a key to start the computer from CDROM, do so quickly. Otherwise it may try to boot from the hard drive.
After a few minutes, you'll see a prompt to press the R key to start the Recovery Console.
When Recovery Console starts, it will prompt you to enter a number corresponding to the Windows XP installation that you need to repair. In most cases, you'll enter "1" (which will be the only choice). If you press ENTER without typing a number, Recovery Console will quit and restart your computer.
Enter your Administrator password. If you don't enter the correct password, you cannot continue.
At the Recovery Console command prompt, type "fixmbr \Device\HardDisk0" and then verify that you want to proceed

jonm01

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
Yes it is set as slave.

evonugg: The XP drive is ok, it is just the slave I can't read from. Could I type fixmbr \Device\HardDisk1 instead??

Or would I be better off getting some recovery software like dart XP to try and recover the partition (it was all one big partition) ?

Yes you need to change my values \Device\HardDisk1\ as appropriate.
Getting partition and/or data recovery software is a good idea.