Problems after flash

thegatekeeper

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2007
I recently flashed my bios to the latest version as it was over a year old, and it seems that performance in games is somewhat lower compared to what it was. I think it has something to do with my sound card, because after i started up windows (first boot up after the flash) i got a pop up on the screen saying that windows has finished installing my new hardware. Now i know that the bios has nothing to do with the OS, so could it be that the bios is somehow incompatible with my sound card and causing it to slow down games? Im running on an Asus Crosshair, and the sound card is an X-Fi Fatality Professional.

Thanks for reading.

joewho

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2006
When you flashed your BIOS your BIOS settings most likely went back to default settings. Make sure your onboard sould is turned off in your BIOS.

cfvh600

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007

Yes your motherboard's onboard sound probably got enabled after the flash. Disable it again in the BIOS.

thegatekeeper

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2007
I reinstalled my sound card driver and put all the settings back, and I'm not sure but i don't think my motherboard has onboard sound, instead it comes with an external solution of its own (even thou i replaced it with the X-Fi). I'm really stumped here as to what could have happened, i know i didn't change anything else apart from my ram (and i only switched its DIMM positions so that it runs in dual channel).

Maybe i should contact asus about it?

thegatekeeper

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2007
Nope, all the options are still as they where, i double checked. The only thing relevant to sound in the bios are these 2 options:

HD Audio, which can be set to [Auto] or [Disabled]

and

Front Panel Support Type, which can be set to [AC97] or [HD Audio]

Im guessing these options are for the sound card that came with the board?

Let's see if my computer still crashed while playing audio with this option turned off.

thegatekeeper

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2007

I am actually running Xp, its running smoothly so far with the option turned off. The fps didn't go back to what it was thou, but the frequent "freezes" in game and crashes while using the sound card seemed to have gone away,

What does that option do anyway? I think it was enabled before the bios flash aswell.

TRENDING THREADS