Sign in with
Your question

Windows not recognizing Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3500320AS

Last response: in Storage
June 27, 2008 7:31:41 PM

Installing on an ASUS SK8N motherboard.

When trying to install Windows XP Pro or Windows Vista Ultimate neither will recognize the harddrive as plugged in. The Bios detects it, and will even attempt to boot from it, but as soon as I try anything in Windows it's as if the harddrive doesn't exist. I tried using a floppy disc to install the RAID Drivers during the Windows XP Install to no avail. I can still boot Windows XP from my old harddrive, and attempting to utilize the drive within Windows XP itself also seems to be useless.

At first, I had removed the jumpers limiting the HDD to 1.5 gb/s to allow the full 3.0 gb/s. I was told by Seagate that many older motherboards could not support this and plugged the little jumper back in for the 1.5 gb/s. This seemed to do nothing, as the drive was still not recognized.

My only option left is to attempt to format the drive before installing (I do not know how to do this) or attempt to return it to Newegg. I'd really like to use the drive, as it is a huge step up from my old 80 gig IDE drive.

What do I need to do?!
a b G Storage
June 28, 2008 4:35:05 AM

Go into the control panel, go to "System and Maintenance," and then go to "Create and Format Hard Disk Partitions" (it should be near the bottom). From there, you can create a partition on the disk and assign it a drive letter so it is visible to Windows.
July 8, 2008 6:56:51 PM

Hi
I am using xp home basic with sp2 and I am having the same problem with the seagate drive.In my bios it is listed but in windows it is not found.
I followed the advice and the option to create and format is not there where suggested.Can you possibly help please.What is the correct way to do it in xp home basic?
nel
!