Is my E8650 running too hot?

toastman

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2005
Hi all,

I bought a new CPU (E6850) and it seems that it's a little too hot, I would like to ask those who bought the E6850 as well and are using the Intel stock heatsink and fan that came with it.

Here's what I did (And you can do it as well for testing):
1. Install TAT (Intel thermal analysis tool) and Core Temp 0.95.4 (Just Google them, easy to download)
2. From TAT, set the workload level of both cores to to 100%
3. Load Temp Core, wait for 3 minutes and take note of the temperatures.

Here are my results: (Ignore the temps reported by TAT, they're inaccurate)
temp.JPG

Can anyone please tell me if what I'm getting is too high? (75c), I would really appreciate if someone with the same proc would give me their results, I would love to know if there's something wrong with my system.

Many thanks,
Toast.

CPU: Core 2 Duo CPU E6850 @ 3.00GHz
VIDEO: PCI-E 2.0 x16 NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT (512 MB)
MOBO: Asus P5E (Intel Beachwood X38)
MEMORY: Standard 2x 1Gb (DDR2-800 PC2-6400)
(All stock fans, nothing is OC)

heh all the temp readings are always off, Combind a ASUS P5GC-MX with a Celeron 420 and you get -2ºc in the bios! Aslong as that heatsink is seated correctly, and the case and ventilation is good, dont worry about it.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
I agree... Make sure that HS is properly installed. It might be a pain, but to be pretty sure, the MB should be out of the case to see the backside where the pins protrude:

MB-back.jpg

And informative video on installing the stock HS:

Intel CPU Install (775)

CoreTemp should be correct. If you install SpeedFan as is, the temp reading should be off by 15C (cooler) then CoreTemp to help verify readings between the 2.

heh all the temp readings are always off, Combind a ASUS P5GC-MX with a Celeron 420 and you get -2ºc in the bios! Aslong as that heatsink is seated correctly, and the case and ventilation is good, dont worry about it.

When you get crazy temperatures, it is usually the Bios at fault. It is better to go back to an older version of the Bios.

toastman

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2005
Appreciate all the advices.. (Thanks Grimmy, that video was awesome. hehe)

But it would be awesome if someone with the E6850 followed what I did and reported in their numbers.

I owe a cold beer to whoever can do that for me :D

CompuTronix

Intel Master
toastman, there's no need to speculate. If you want to learn about your temps, then check out the Core 2 Quad and Duo Temperature Guide: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/221745-29-core-quad-temperature-guide

From the Guide:

Scale 1: Duo

E6x50: Tcase Max 72c, G0 Stepping, Tjunction Max 100c, Vcore Max 1.350, TDP 65w, Delta 10c

-Tcase/Tjunction-
--70--/--80--80-- Hot
--65--/--75--75-- Warm
--60--/--70--70-- Safe
--25--/--35--35-- Cool

Section 8: Tools

Note 1: Core Temp is an excellent utility, however, it has a fundamental flaw in terminology, which creates confusion in the CPU temperature community, by obscuring the distinction between temperature and specification. Core Temp shows Tjunction 85c (or 100c), which is an incorrect term. The proper expression is Tjunction Max 85c (or 100c), which is the term defined by Intel as shown above in the Specifications section, and as represented below:

Tjunction = Core temperature
Tjunction Max = Shutdown

(A) Junction Temperature is a thermal measurement because it scales, thus the term TJ, or Tjunction, which is synonymous with Core temperature.

(B) Maximum Junction Temperature is a specification because it does not scale, thus the term TJ Max, or Tjunction Max, which is synonymous with Shutdown.

(C) ~ 5c below Tjunction Max Throttling is activated. If Tjunction Max is reached, Shutdown occurs, which is either 85c or 100c, and is determined by Stepping...

Note 4: The software utility (TAT) Thermal Analysis Tool at maximum settings will simulate 100% Thermal Load, which equates to Prime95 at 114% Workload ~ 5c hotter. This provides the most extreme testing available for CPU and system cooling efficiency. Since TAT is coded to measure Notebook temps, it identifies a C2D as Pentium M. As Notebooks have no Integrated Heat Spreader, thermal scaling differs from desktops CPU`s, so TAT indicates ~ 2c lower, and depending on Variables, temps may be Offset by more than 15c...

Comp :sol:

BrutalDawg1

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2007
not to be a negative nancy, but if coretemp is saying 75c on idle...you either did not install the hsf/fan correctly or your room is like 90F rofl.

dallasjoh

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
I have the E6850 installed on an Intel DG33BU motherboard with a stock fan and temps are 41-42c at idle. Even under a load it hardly get past 52c. Try re-seating you HSF and use Artic Silver 5 thermal compound and spread it paper thin.

toastman

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2005

Thanks dallasjoh, my idle temps are also 41-42c.. (Finally a reply from a E6850 user)

ps. try to load your cores at 100% with TAT and we'll see who needs Artic Silver 5 here :p

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Heh, well at least someone replied with the same CPU. But mostly all C2D seem to run about the same, giving the same ambient temps / PC case airflow factors.

Tat will push the system pretty hard. Ran it for about 10 mins just now, I have my E4400 OC to 3ghz, and it stays at 69-70C, using Tuniq HS. (Ambient temp 80F)

If my ambient temps were around 70F, I'd have better results. (not using AS5, but rather TX-1)

dragonsho

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2007
Hey Toastman, I have pretty much the same exact setup as you (e6850, asus p5e, 8800gt, 2gigs of ram). I also have some concerns about my cpu/setup in general. I have everything in a Xaser V. I get idle temps around 30c but the concerning thing is that it displays "Temp 1" and "Temp 2" (in speedfan) as around 55c most of the time. It's not the LM75 chip (which I disabled so it doesn't show because after reasearching that is basically a monitor chip and doesn't mean much, am I correct?) Also, I was playing the crysis demo and my cpu read 88c in speedfan :eek: I ordered a new heatsink to try and fix that (nothing is overclocked).

So does anyone know what temp 1 and temp 2 are or what they could possible be?

CompuTronix

Intel Master
dragonsho, the following link is to SpeedFan's website, which you could have found for yourself by simply clicking on SpeedFan's "Info" tab... http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php Also, if you click on SpeedFan's "Help and HOW-TO" icon which is included in SpeedFan's installation Program Group, you can read about it.

Additionally, the following is from the Core 2 Quad and Duo Temperature Guide - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/221745-29-core-quad-temperature-guide

Section 8: Tools

SpeedFan 4.33 displays Tcase and Tjunction sensors: http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

Note 3: SpeedFan is very flexible and is the temperature monitoring utility of choice. SpeedFan detects and labels thermal sensors according to various motherboard, chipset and super I/O chip configurations, so the Tcase label can be CPU, Temp 1, Temp 2, or Temp 3. Even if Tcase is labeled as CPU, it is still necessary to confirm the identity of Tcase prior to conducting Calibrations. Run Prime95 and note which SpeedFan temperature scales with an Idle to Load Delta similar to the Cores. This will identify the label corresponding to Tcase. Labels can later be renamed using the Configure button, (see Section11). If a temperature shows a flame icon, this indicates alarm limits which require adjustment. Use the Configure button to set CPU and Core temp alarms to Safe Scale. If a temperature shows Aux 127, this is simply an unassigned input which can be disabled using the Configure button. CPU`s with Steppings which are Tjunction Max 100c typically require +15c Core Offsets. See Section 11.

dragonsho

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2007
Thanks so much. I had actually run into that guide several times but hadn't gotten through reading it all. Thanks for pointing out the important part.

So basically, temp 1 and 2 are tcase temps. I guess I'll be able to tell further once I install a good heatsink and get home and run prime95.

dragonsho

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2007
Thanks. I just ran Prime95 and speedfan at the same time. Here's an image (big resolution, sorry).

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/5695/ttun4.jpg

so basically under full load speed fan read out pretty high. Any suggestions (besides new heatsink which should be coming tomorrow).

toastman, did you run into any temperatures this high?

Also, sorry if I may have dumb questions or lack of understanding. This is my first build and I don't want anything to die on me.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
dragonsho, I strongly urge you to stop load testing! Your temperautes are dangerously high! Additionally, CPU temperature can NOT be higher than Core Temperatures. Since the accuracy of your temperatures are obviously questionable, you may be exceeding the maximum CPU temperature of 72c, according to Intel's specifications.

I recommend that you read the Core 2 Quad and Duo Temperature Guide - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/221745-29-core-quad-temperature-guide - and use Section 9 (Calibrations) to run the Idle tests in Parts 1 thru 4. Once completed, you will be certain that your temperatures are accurate, which will then allow you to resume troubleshooting and testing by using a more informed and safe approach.

dragonsho

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2007
Alright just thought I'd update (and sorry to toastman for hijacking the thread).

So I just got the Zalman Heatsink (the 9500 if anyone is wondering) and this thing is amazing. It basically fixed ALL my problems. My CPU is idling at 21C (and used Mobo hardware monitor to confirm it) and core 1 and 2 are about 25 idle (after adding 15c to the displayed temps).

I played Gears max settings and was running at a cool 28C.

The only problems left are Temp 1 and 2 which, yes, I know, I WILL get around to reading the faq you linked to CompuTronix, I just havn't really had a chance, so hopefully I should be able to clear that up myself. I just wanted to say that it was the junk stock heatsink. I'm going to stress test once I get temp 1 and 2 sorted out.

Thanks Comp and everyone else that's been nice enough to help me and not get mad at my ridiculous and sometimes redundant questions.