Help with first OC!!

Moeferd

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2008
Hey :hello: this is my first ground up build, and it will also be my first OC try.
i was hoping for some good tips, and anything i should avoid.
if you have a setup close to this, and have some multiplier/voltage ratings for me
that would be great as well.

My setup is:
AMD|A64 X2 5000+
ZALMAN CNPS 9500
SAPPHIRE 100225L HD3870
2x1gb CORSAIR Dominator 1066
GIGABYTE GA-MA770-DS3 mobo

I am running a raidmax case with three 80mm and two 120mm fans
as well as a raidmax 500w psu.

THANKS!!!

Thanatos421

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
The thing you have to understand is that no two chips will OC the same. Asking for settings is asking for trouble. If you really want to learn how to OC properly, read the guides, and then start on yours. It's all trial and error, and patience. Read the "Overclocking the A64" Guide in the CPU section and go from there. What may work on one person's machine, may not work on yours.

In other words, don't just take someone's word for how to OC your rig. Learn for yourself. Your purchase should be too valuable to you to risk using someone else's settings.

Sorry if this isn't what you were looking for, but the newbie OC'ers such as yourself need to learn the basics of not just how, but why.

Moeferd

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2008
I appreciate your input, and do have some idea of how the different chips OC differently, i guess i was maybe hoping for a safe starting point to begin with without really risking my system.

thanks thanatos

Thanatos421

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
I'll give ya the best way to start. Lock PCI-e Frequency to 100Mhz. Set HT Multi to 4x, Pump your HT up by 25-50 MHz. Don't change voltage just yet unless it is still on Auto. If your CPU vcore is still set to auto, be sure to set it to the default voltage for the 5000, which I believe is 1.325-1.35. Test it. If it doesn't BSOD or fail Prime 95 (with Round off checking enabled under advanced tab), then bump the HT another 25-50 (Just remember to keep your HT multi in check so you don't OC the HT, it usually doesn't like it at all).

Rinse repeat until you do BSOD or fail Prime. THEN bump vcore by .1 and retest.

Of course, you could always just shoot for your target OC to begin with, and work backwards, but I always like to make sure the machine is completely stable at lower frequencies before I push it harder (call me retentive...meh).

Just remember to keep the HT less than or equal to stock speeds using the HT Multiplier, raise HT Frequency until it shows instability, then bump voltage til stable again. It can take a while, but I always view an overclock project as taking at least a week to get 100% correct.

Remember to refer to the A64 guide for any questions along the way, and you'll be fine. Of course, we'll be here for the head scratchers if you need us :)

Good luck!