AMDs CEO to be kicked out ... maybe AMD can pull itself together now

47 answers Last reply
More about amds kicked pull
  1. Its unlikely AMD CEO will be kicked. On the side note, is there a way to ignore the THG forums users? Some needs such "kicking" :sarcastic:
  2. Sick burn!
  3. Yeah... I am not to sure that he will be leaving but I think it would be a smart choice if it did happen.
  4. I wonder what he will get as a golden parachute, $20,000,000,000 or a cup of pee?

Edit: Oh wait, I confused golden parachute with golden sho**r.
  5. Zorg said:
    I wonder what he will get as a golden parachute, $20,000,000,000 or a cup of pee?

$20 mil is way too low ... $200 mil is more like it.
  6. You miscount the 0's thats 20 billion!
  7. Zorg said:
    I wonder what he will get as a golden parachute, $20,000,000,000 or a cup of pee?

Edit: Oh wait, I confused golden parachute with golden sho**r.
    Seeing as that's more than AMD+ATI are worth(both the 20 billion and the cup of pee), I think it's same to assume he won't be getting it. ;)
  8. I don't think kicking the CEO is the right answer. AMD is progressing, and that's saying something. It's not so much where they currently stand as it is the direction they are heading. They took a huge plunge in acquiring ATI, but that move may very well pay off in the long run. They just need to stay focused and they will pull out of this rut they are in.
  9. Ruiz *needs* to be removed. He's as much to blame for the mess they're in than anyone else. Maybe Intel is secretly paying him to ruin CPU companies - he did it to Motorola, now AMD...we'll see in the next few weeks but given the moves they've been making it seems likely something is about to happen....
  10. Yes, AMD is progressing... kind of... too bad its the wrong direction.
  11. Sorry folks but that was a RUMOR. Besides, with what he had to work with he has done a great job. He saw AMD go from 0% server share to 25% in like a year or so.

It just truly upsets me how people come on here and complain about K10, but I don't remember the lynching parties for the NetBurst debacle.
  12. His parachute is nothing close to that. XD.

The top exec at my personal company has the largest such parting gift in the world at something like 40 mill. Ole' Hector, I believe, wouldn't be getting more than 10~20 mill.

BTW, I work for Federal Mogul.
  13. Harrisson said:
    Its unlikely AMD CEO will be kicked. On the side note, is there a way to ignore the THG forums users? Some needs such "kicking" :sarcastic:

He's not trolling, it's actually being reported by those "news sources". You can't quote a news source when it's pro-AMD news, and then renounce it when the news isn't good for your company.
  14. BaronMatrix said:
    Sorry folks but that was a RUMOR. Besides, with what he had to work with he has done a great job. He saw AMD go from 0% server share to 25% in like a year or so.

It just truly upsets me how people come on here and complain about K10, but I don't remember the lynching parties for the NetBurst debacle.

Netburst = PROFITABLE, VERY PROFITABLE
    AMD = 2 Billion loss this year, NOT PROFITABLE, NOT EVEN CLOSE

Remember, the CEO isn't in charge of "making a good product", he's in charge of making money for the stakeholders, such as shareholders and employees.

On top of that, Barcelona is not all what it needed to be. It's a good processor, but it's not what it needed to be.
  15. TechnologyCoordinator said:
    Netburst = PROFITABLE, VERY PROFITABLE
    AMD = 2 Billion loss this year, NOT PROFITABLE, NOT EVEN CLOSE

Remember, the CEO isn't in charge of "making a good product", he's in charge of making money for the stakeholders, such as shareholders and employees.

On top of that, Barcelona is not all what it needed to be. It's a good processor, but it's not what it needed to be.

Really? Let me force feed you some old beans. Will that make them good? Or are you just dumb for letting me force feed them to you?

Besides, neither was Prescott. But I don't remember anyone wanting any blood or BKs. That's why rich people don't care about poor people. They can have you argue with and kill each other while they're on their way to the bank.
  16. I don't think anyone was dumb about the beans.... but your last comment Baron, well it suits you.
  17. Here's a novel idea, let's wait and see what happens on Monday. If we read the news Tuesday morning that Hector resigned, then we'll know these rumors and reliable news sources are really just rumor or actually reliable.

Unless AMD operates differently from any other corporation, the Board of Directors or majority shareholders would have to call for his resignation. Unless Hector has decided to just up and leave, I'll chalk this up to rumor given that there have been no indications that the BoD or majority shareholders have called for him to resign. And, just because the Inquirer stated that the BoD appointed Dirk to the Board is not enough to go on.

As long as AMD follows through with their roadmap into 2011, it doesn't matter whether it's Hector or Dirk is running the place.

I blame the success of netburst and prescott on those blue faced freaks, the Blue Man Group. Let's face it, if it wasn't for that marketing campaign, Intel would not have sold anywhere near as many of them as they did. My favorite effect from Netburst was the introduction of BTX, thank goodness both went by the way of the dodo.
  18. BaronMatrix said:
    Really? Let me force feed you some old beans. Will that make them good? Or are you just dumb for letting me force feed them to you?

Besides, neither was Prescott. But I don't remember anyone wanting any blood or BKs. That's why rich people don't care about poor people. They can have you argue with and kill each other while they're on their way to the bank.

Ok, let me sum this up:

Original Poster: There's a rumor Hector might get fired

BaronMatrix: No, he's done a good job. Remember when Intel made netburst?

TechnologyCoordinator: Uhhh... Hector isn't doing a good job, AMD is bleeding 400 million a quarter

BaronMatrix: So?

TechnologyCoordinator: Well, that'd be a good reason to get rid of the CEO...

BaronMatrix: Oh. Well this is AMD. As long as their processors pass the Power On Self Test I think that's good enough for most consumers.

TechnologyCoordinator: Well actually, AMD's new architecture is inferior to Intel's year old architecture.

BaronMatrix: No. AMD says it will be 40% faster.

TechnologyCoordinator: Then why are they pricing the top Phenom chip at $300 instead of $1000?

BaronMatrix: To be competitive.

TechnologyCoordinator: Then that means that any Intel processor priced higher than that is probably better and therefore your original claim that the processor is 40% better than anything Intel has isn't probably right?

BaronMatrix: D'oh.

TechnologyCoordinator: Not to mention K10 is currently only being paper launched?

BaronMatrix: IT'S NOT A PAPER LAUNCH!

TechnologyCoordinator: Then why are AMD benchmarks being revoked due to lack of availability?

BaronMatrix: D'oh. I refuse to actually debate with you because it doesn't blindly support my favorite company, AMD.
  19. A.) I don't think Hector will be cut. He satisfies the company's diversity requirement.

B.) I think the current events are less AMD doing poorly and more of Intel saying "gee, I think I'll stop being lazy and work for a little bit. Don't worry, I'll go nap again soon." Intel has tons of resources of which they were using on very experimental items and fun projects when they had little competition. That's where AMD's hammer came from. Then Intel said "ok ok, we'll seriously make good chips again" - which is what they're doing. When they get far enough ahead, they'll put on cruise control again and go see what other kinds of fun technology that's not microprocessor centric they can get into.

AMD hasn't been perfect in their execution, but they haven't been completely stupid either (4x4 aside). Once the company gets closer to totally running out of cash, it might be time to dump the CEO though.
  20. TechnologyCoordinator said:
    Ok, let me sum this up:

TechnologyCoordinator: Uhhh... Hector isn't doing a good job, AMD is bleeding 400 million a quarter

BaronMatrix: Oh. Well this is AMD. As long as their processors pass the Power On Self Test I think that's good enough for most consumers.

TechnologyCoordinator: Well actually, AMD's new architecture is inferior to Intel's year old architecture.

TechnologyCoordinator: Then why are they pricing the top Phenom chip at $300 instead of $1000?

TechnologyCoordinator: Then that means that any Intel processor priced higher than that is probably better and therefore your original claim that the processor is 40% better than anything Intel has isn't probably right?

TechnologyCoordinator: Not to mention K10 is currently only being paper launched?

TechnologyCoordinator: Then why are AMD benchmarks being revoked due to lack of availability?

BaronMatrix: D'oh. I refuse to actually debate with you because it doesn't blindly support my favorite company, AMD.

ROFL!!! that was good .To be honest AMD is on there way out of dept ,this quarter or 1Q 08.They already know that they need more than cpu to make there money.http://forums.vr-zone.com/showthread.php?t=202465 The gpu for the prices are sold and the m-boards very future proof and solid,this is without any solid test facts on the Phenoms
  21. TechnologyCoordinator said:
    Ok, let me sum this up:

DING DING DING!!!

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner! (where is that d@mn trophy?)
  22. wolverinero79 said:
    A.) I don't think Hector will be cut. He satisfies the company's diversity requirement.

Tsk,tsk...
  23. Quote:
    Besides, with what he had to work with he has done a great job.
    What do you mean what he had to work with? Wasn't Sanders largely responsible for A64? It seems Ruiz stepped in when everything was already in motion.
  24. Rumor floating around is that Hector will be released from AMD on Monday. Marketing has already stated " I fully expect Hector Ruiz to be 40% smarter than Paul Ottelini ". AMD was quick to point out that Hector is a Native CEO that comes fully equipped with AMD's Integrated Memory Controller which enables him to not acknowledge limitations in production when setting release dates for products. :non:

Hector could not be reached for comment as he hung 8 ft. in the air swaying from his second story balcany by a rope made from unfilled product orders by HP, Compaq, and Dell. Likely CEO replacement candidates include Gary Coleman of Different Strokes, William Jefferson Clinton husban to Hillery Rotham Clinton the Presidential hopeful and Bytch, and Oscar from Seseme Street. :ouch:
  25. ROFLMAO!! :pt1cable:
  26. I just took a trip on the ROFLCOPTER.
  27. TechnologyCoordinator said:
    Ok, let me sum this up:

Don't you want to just go to that OTHER site?
  28. Original Poster: There's a rumor Hector might get fired

BaronMatrix: Sorry folks it's just a rumor.

BaronMatrix: But they are getting back market share.

BaronMatrix: Yeah, of course people would still pay $1000 for an FX62.

BaronMatrix: What does inferior mean?

BaronMatrix: Yeah, people would certainly buy a 2.4GHz chip for $1000.

BaronMatrix: I believe the exact quote was "on a variety of workloads."

BaronMatrix: Gee, I wish Fabs didn't cost $3B

BaronMatrix: Maybe they should have used Appro or some of the others who are actually shipping systems.

TechnologyCoordinator: Don't you mean Intel is a monopolist?

BaronMatrix: If you say so.

TechnologyCoordinator: Now you're putting words in my mouth.

BaronMatrix: Thought I'd give you a break.

TechnologyCoordinator: AMD shouldn't even have an x86 license much less Hector as a CEO. Even Via's doing better.

BaronMatrix: I know what you mean. AMD sucks. I mean they can barely compete with a 10X larger company. WTF?

TachnologyCoordinator: Now you're coming around. Sign the petition to get AMDs license revoked. Those IBM scores were faked anyway. No way AMD is that far ahead on FP.

BaronMatrix: I think you're taking this a bit too far.

TechnologyCoordinator: I hate AMD. I want to make jokes about them and you'd better agree.

BaronMatrix: Are you sure you're OK?

TechnologyCoordinator: That's it. I'm reporting you.

BaronMatrix: OK. I'll sign the petition.

TechnologyCoordinator: That's better. You'll be in the Brood yet.

BaronMatrix: Uhh, never mind.

TechnologyCoordinator: Damn you.
  29. BaronMatrix said:

BaronMatrix: Sorry folks it's just a rumor.

BaronMatrix: But they are getting back market share.

BaronMatrix: Yeah, of course people would still pay $1000 for an FX62.

BaronMatrix: What does inferior mean?

BaronMatrix: Yeah, people would certainly buy a 2.4GHz chip for $1000.

BaronMatrix: I believe the exact quote was "on a variety of workloads."

BaronMatrix: Gee, I wish Fabs didn't cost $3B

BaronMatrix: Maybe they should have used Appro or some of the others who are actually shipping systems.

TechnologyCoordinator: Don't you mean Intel is a monopolist?

BaronMatrix: If you say so.

TechnologyCoordinator: Now you're putting words in my mouth.

BaronMatrix: Thought I'd give you a break.

TechnologyCoordinator: AMD shouldn't even have an x86 license much less Hector as a CEO. Even Via's doing better.

BaronMatrix: I know what you mean. AMD sucks. I mean they can barely compete with a 10X larger company. WTF?

TachnologyCoordinator: Now you're coming around. Sign the petition to get AMDs license revoked. Those IBM scores were faked anyway. No way AMD is that far ahead on FP.

BaronMatrix: I think you're taking this a bit too far.

TechnologyCoordinator: I hate AMD. I want to make jokes about them and you'd better agree.

BaronMatrix: Are you sure you're OK?

TechnologyCoordinator: That's it. I'm reporting you.

BaronMatrix: OK. I'll sign the petition.

TechnologyCoordinator: That's better. You'll be in the Brood yet.

BaronMatrix: Uhh, never mind.

TechnologyCoordinator: Damn you.

um... not funny... :hello: :hello:
  30. THIS IS HALARIOUS :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
  31. badger101101 said:
    I don't think kicking the CEO is the right answer. AMD is progressing, and that's saying something. It's not so much where they currently stand as it is the direction they are heading. They took a huge plunge in acquiring ATI, but that move may very well pay off in the long run. They just need to stay focused and they will pull out of this rut they are in.

Well, they'd better start now. It's not with 2.4GHz Phenom that they'll fill their bank account. At least not if it's not superior to Intel mainstream E6600 (on average I mean, don't pull the famous "check this bench" please), which seems to be the case.

I have some hope for the HD3870 coming out shortly, but they only said that it was gonna have better thermal specification and slightly better performances. If that's for Dx9 games, I say OK. But they should improve a lot in Dx10 games where they are mostly beaten hands down by NVidia's offering right now with their R600 VPU. Gaining back what they lost in the graphic market share might help them sustain their effort on the CPU front where I don't see them being competitive any time shortly.

That's unless Intel screw up really bad on NEHALEM. But even then, they could postpone it's release while improving the design by a wide margin and still be competitive until 2009 with their Q9XX0 line. They seems to have a good frequency margin with last week Toms test showing 73W on supposedly 130W QX9650 at 100% load.

With all this, it might be a good time to change the CEO.

OH! Baron, when will stop hating Intel? They have a good product line right now (even if they screw up badly until last year), better then AMD at least. I don't hate AMD because they're inferior right now. i JUST WON'T BUY THEIR PRODUCT, THAT'S ALL. But at the same time I'll gladly get any product they produce that deliver the best at the price point I set-up for myself. Right now I'm awaiting the release of the HD3870 to see if I'm gonna get it or the GeF8800GT. It's this simple and should be the same to you. I'M FED UP WITH THIS SHXT!

My 2 cents.
  32. Let me try this:

Spit: Facts are that AMD is not very competitive with their nonServer processors anymore and are falling further behind quite quickly.

Baron: Obviously, they are much smaller.

Spit: While lossing their ass in the stock market this year they lied their ass off on release dates, performance, and the health of their K10 process because everything was riding on it.

Baron: They didn't lie, they were just over optimistic.

TC: They release FUD while only they had access to the truth and knew the truth.

Gary Coleman: Where's the white women?

Spit: where did Gary Coleman come from.

Baron: We sometimes hang out, its cool.

TC: Gary Coleman is 40% shorter than Otellini.

Gary Coleman: What you talkin' 'bout?

Spit: I just buy the processors, don't care who makes them.

Baron: Then buy AMD.

Spit: No, I mean I buy whoever has a better deal and I Over clock. I am just saying facts are facts and it is not like a football game where you have to lie to yourself and be a fan of a company.

TC: Yeah.

Baron: I hate you all, but can't believe you cared so much to have an intervention with me.

Gary Coleman: Give me a hug.
  33. ROFL

I love you guys, even Baron.
  34. NightlySputnik said:
    Well, they'd better start now. It's not with 2.4GHz Phenom that they'll fill their bank account. At least not if it's not superior to Intel mainstream E6600 (on average I mean, don't pull the famous "check this bench" please), which seems to be the case.

I have some hope for the HD3870 coming out shortly, but they only said that it was gonna have better thermal specification and slightly better performances. If that's for Dx9 games, I say OK. But they should improve a lot in Dx10 games where they are mostly beaten hands down by NVidia's offering right now with their R600 VPU. Gaining back what they lost in the graphic market share might help them sustain their effort on the CPU front where I don't see them being competitive any time shortly.

That's unless Intel screw up really bad on NEHALEM. But even then, they could postpone it's release while improving the design by a wide margin and still be competitive until 2009 with their Q9XX0 line. They seems to have a good frequency margin with last week Toms test showing 73W on supposedly 130W QX9650 at 100% load.

With all this, it might be a good time to change the CEO.

OH! Baron, when will stop hating Intel? They have a good product line right now (even if they screw up badly until last year), better then AMD at least. I don't hate AMD because they're inferior right now. i JUST WON'T BUY THEIR PRODUCT, THAT'S ALL. But at the same time I'll gladly get any product they produce that deliver the best at the price point I set-up for myself. Right now I'm awaiting the release of the HD3870 to see if I'm gonna get it or the GeF8800GT. It's this simple and should be the same to you. I'M FED UP WITH THIS SHXT!

My 2 cents.

I feel you. No, I really do feel you. I was hoping HD38x0 can even the field a little bit, so I can put two together for Xfire on P35.. but for the same price point, it doesn't seem they're competitive with GF8800.....

As one of my friend said, "I only want P35 to have SLI ability, or HD3870 to perform. Why can't I have either of them?"
  35. LMAO!!! :pt1cable:

I love these posts :kaola:

That aside, can the CEO be "kicked" out? I thought he's the top person and usually people of higher status "leaves" instead of getting fired.

I totally feel the same way too, NightlySputnik...just gotta love those waiting games eh?
  36. BaronMatrix said:
    Sorry folks but that was a RUMOR. Besides, with what he had to work with he has done a great job. He saw AMD go from 0% server share to 25% in like a year or so.

Heh to most people even today after the netburst days people still think GHz = Performance, and altho its less then two years ago, most people atleast in Australia STILL prefer Intel over AMD any day, and at the end of the day and as as bad as the 90nm and 65nm netburst chips were (130nm Northwoods were tops) they still sold like crazy.
  37. Isn't that suppose to be a bad thing?
  38. Their top brass hasn't had credibility in the past year; someone has to go anyway, even for the sake of their own employee morale.

The reason all the 1P/2P Barcelonas are out of stock is AMD is nearly broke, and saleable yields are closer to 4% than 40%. They're not terrible engineers, just mismanaged. What do they do with only a few thousand K10 chips? Package and sell what works as 8P parts for eight times the price of a 1P/2P part. K8 won't keep them afloat, especially in the wake of the K10 introduction. Neither will down-binning K10 parts (i.e., relaxing their server headroom standards and compromising their reputation).
  39. Funny thread... lol

Lets just pray turpit doesn't come along and post something so long most of us will fall asleep before reading it ...

cripes ... now that Iv'e set a challenge he is bound to.

here comes an essay ... heh heh.
  40. Reynod said:
    Funny thread... lol

Lets just pray turpit doesn't come along and post something so long most of us will fall asleep before reading it ...

cripes ... now that Iv'e set a challenge he is bound to.

here comes an essay ... heh heh.

You seem to have some sort of abnormal fascination with me..about every third post you find a way to mention my name.
  41. Is he gone yet?
  42. nope .. still here ... but I managed to achieve the impossible ... that was his shortest post in recent history ... lol.

Actually turpit I was wondering what you had to say about this ... I was genuinely interested.

I think Hector isn't going anywhere yet.

Hopefully the chipset, cpu, new card and ehatever else they have promised happens soon (RD790, Phenom, RV670).

I will have to spend twice the money to upgrade to Intel ... those mobos are twice the price.

Albeit the Intel cpu's overclock like mad ... discounting the mobo cost.
  43. turpit said:
    You seem to have some sort of abnormal fascination with me..about every third post you find a way to mention my name.

Turpit, will you marry me?
  44. yomamafor1 said:
    I feel you. No, I really do feel you. I was hoping HD38x0 can even the field a little bit, so I can put two together for Xfire on P35.. but for the same price point, it doesn't seem they're competitive with GF8800.....

As one of my friend said, "I only want P35 to have SLI ability, or HD3870 to perform. Why can't I have either of them?"

Anonymous said:
    LMAO!!! :pt1cable:

I love these posts :kaola:

That aside, can the CEO be "kicked" out? I thought he's the top person and usually people of higher status "leaves" instead of getting fired.

I totally feel the same way too, NightlySputnik...just gotta love those waiting games eh?

Truth is CEO's can be kicked out. Actaully they can be forced to resign. Dick Parsons CEO of Time Warner is "resigning" Just mention a recent example. If Ruiz has to leave AMD, he will resign.
  45. Reynod said:
    nope .. still here ... but I managed to achieve the impossible ... that was his shortest post in recent history ... lol.

Actually turpit I was wondering what you had to say about this ... I was genuinely interested.

I think Hector isn't going anywhere yet.

Hopefully the chipset, cpu, new card and ehatever else they have promised happens soon (RD790, Phenom, RV670).

I will have to spend twice the money to upgrade to Intel ... those mobos are twice the price.

Albeit the Intel cpu's overclock like mad ... discounting the mobo cost.

I was actually refering to Hector ;)
  46. TechnologyCoordinator said:
    Ok, let me sum this up:

47. TechnologyCoordinator said:
    Turpit, will you marry me?

I told you no. Even if you did learn to spell my name right
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs AMD