Does anyone know what is broken here?

glenned

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2008
When I start my computer, the fans start to spin for about 2 seconds, then they stop. A couple of seconds later they start to spin for another two seconds, and stop again. This goes on indefinetly. It never posts.

Setup: Q6600 (G0 stepping), Gigabyte GA-p35-DS3P Motherboard, 4X1 ocz platinum DDR2 800, KFA2 GeForce 8800GT Vid card, Tuniq Tower 120 cooler, CoolerMaster RP-600-PCAR 600 Watt PSU, Using a program that came with the MoBo, EasyTune5Pro, to monitor hardware temps.

History:

Successfully ran Prime95 for 6 hours with CPU at 3.1 GHz (FSB 345) using 1.3125 Core Voltage. All other voltages at Stock. Loose memory timings.

Then increased CPU to 3.2 Gig (FSB 356) using 1.4 V. All other voltages at stock settings, except for mem - 2.1V. Started Pirme95. After about a half an hour, I left. Case temp - 35C; CPU temp - 40C. Returned several hours later to find the computor locked up and emitting a tone. Upon rebooting, the computer posted and started to load up bios settings saved to the hard drive. As this process neared completion, the computer crashed and started to post again. After repeating this again, it settled into the pattern I described above.

I have unplugged the psu and cleared the CMOS and let it sit for several hours. I have replaced the memory. Has anyone seen this before and know the cause/solution?

Glenn

comzee

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2008
Yea, I have seen symptoms like this before. I have a Gigabyte 965P DS3. When I try to O/C to an unstable clock my pc would shut down and reset the Cmos. It would do exactly what you described, "The fans start to spin for about 2 seconds, then they stop. A couple of seconds later they start to spin for another two seconds, and stop again." But that process wouldn't go on indefinitely like you described, it would reset my Cmos to fail safe defaults, and then boot. Heres something that can help. Take out your CPU, reset your Cmos, then try to boot with the CPU out! Let it sit for a few seconds and do whatever, it might beep or the fans might cycle on and off. Turn it off. Then put your CPU back in and try to boot. I've done that process with my current mobo and it fixed a very serious Cmos corruption. The Cmos seems to reset without a CPU in. help that works. :D

glenned

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2008
Unfortunately, that didn't fix it. When I booted with the Q6600 removed, it broke the cycle and the fans spun continuously. When I replaced the processor, the cycle began again. I let the computer run for an hour with the fans cycling on and off at about 2 second intervals.

What would be your best guess. Is the Q6600 damaged? or the MoBo? I don't have spare processors and Mobos lying around to swap and help determine which is responsible. Any ideas?

Glenn

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
Uhh... I hate to tell you this, but that is exactly what my board did when it lost the bios. It happily erased the old one to update the new one, and never wrote it. Maximus formula though. It powered up, spun for a few seconds, powered down, then did it over and over again.

Dunno if that helps!
My board is currently with Asus. ;(
--Lupi!

glenned

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2008
Thanks. I sent Gigabyte tech support an email describing the problem. I will see what they have to say.

Glenn