Can I upgrade this processor?

MattRiddle

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2007
I am going to buy the following computer.

Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E4500 Computer

I looked up the processor and it is a 2.2Ghz processor. I am wondering if this processor is any good, and if I can upgrade the mother board with a better processor? If so, which processor would be suggested? Let's say I can pay $200 for a processor.

leo2kp

Distinguished
Ummmm, who are you buying it from? The manufacturer might not allow a motherboard upgrade, though that's not such a big issue now days. However, if you have an E4500, you should be fine upgrading to at least an E6600. The 2.2GHz processor you have now isn't bad. Depends what you want to do with it really. Also, overclocking might be more cost-effective for you.

Need more details about the machine you bought!

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
If you have bought it yet, build it yourself and get an ASUS or Gigabyte P35 mobo, you'll be able to move up to a quad core when you can afford and the board would be good for overclocking if you want to. Building is really easy if you follow the directions that come with the mobo and take your time

You said you were going to buy "this" computer, however you did not list the computer, only the CPU. Without knowledge of what motherboard you will use we cannot answer your question, nor do we know if you are talking about upgrading to next year's 45nm CPUs.

As to the E4500, it is a very under estimated CPU and many of them can be highly overclocked and perform faster than any other non-overclocked Core 2 Duo in current production.