Sign in with
Your question

is it safe to flash from emachines bios to ecs bios to overclock?

Last response: in Motherboards
November 26, 2007 6:21:04 AM

I bought an emachine pc and it came with an ECS 945ct-m3, can I flash it with the bios from the ECS website and do some overclocking? This is my first experience with an ECS board, do their bios allow for overclocking and if so how well? I'll mainly be using this for a media server as it has a lower power celeron420 and onboard video. I just want to overclock it for fun to see what i can do since it is conroe based.
a b V Motherboard
November 26, 2007 6:57:30 AM

astrotrain1000 said:
I bought an emachine pc and it came with an ECS 945ct-m3, can I flash it with the bios from the ECS website and do some overclocking? This is my first experience with an ECS board, do their bios allow for overclocking and if so how well? I'll mainly be using this for a media server as it has a lower power celeron420 and onboard video. I just want to overclock it for fun to see what i can do since it is conroe based.

ECS = S#!+, but it will have some sort of overclocking options, dont expect much tho.

To flash the bios? Chances are it will work, chances are it wont, but you should be lucky.
November 26, 2007 10:01:13 PM

I'd only flash emachine BIOS because it's not unusual for mfg to modify the boards.
Related resources
December 27, 2007 5:51:11 PM

did you ever flash your bios. we bought my mom an emachines for christmas this year and it has an ecs motherboard in it (945GCT-M3). I was wondering if you had any luck in flashing your bios. It should work, and I would have tried it already if the computer was mine, but it's my mom's. She's running vista in it with a 1.6GHz celeron. it's a conroe-L core, so if I could just have some overclocking options in the BIOS, it wouldn't take much to bump up that 200mhz fsb up to... say 300 for a nice 800 mhz overclock.
a b K Overclocking
a c 435 V Motherboard
December 27, 2007 5:54:42 PM

I don't recommend you flash any ecs board; not worth the hassle of a possible bad flash. Some ecs boards use winflash; a little tricky making it work the first time. Not worth the risk/reward factor.
January 4, 2008 4:58:31 PM

I have tried to flash using ECS Bios flash but, it stated unable to flash onboard bios. I'm contacting ECS right now.

You can upgrade the CPU as long it is using LGA775 socket and 800mhz FSB
January 4, 2008 5:09:13 PM

Did you buy it locally from a Shop Like Best Buy Circuit City?
If you can return it there for a replacement, give it a shot :>>
January 4, 2008 9:15:12 PM

ECS Support(USA) Posted : GMT 2008/01/04 22:47:55
Please DO NOT flash the BIOS on your motherboard which is inside the eMachine. They have special BIOS for eMachine system.

Unfortunately, we don't have any information related to your motherboard. Please contact eMachine for more support.
a b K Overclocking
a c 120 V Motherboard
January 4, 2008 10:02:09 PM

Most times, just like the Asus boards used in HP's. The boards have been modified for there new purpose. So a flash is unlikely to work....

@ apache_lives - My K7S5A was the most trouble free board i ever owned(Never had a bios flash fix one thing and break another like i have seen with other boards costing 4-5 times more).....It still runs today....
!